On 11/15/18 1:21 AM, Sundbaum Per-Johan (Telenor Sverige AB) wrote:
I should have given more details, in the example I gave there was actual a
couple of G.722 packets that was marked with payload type G.722 received in a
session where G.711A(PCMA/8000) was established as the agreed codec, the
receiving PBX did not have support for G.722.
As I interpret  RFC 3550 the PBX should drop the G.722 packets and let the
session continue, and same applies also in case where G.722 is supported by
PBX,  am I wrong ?

Just to be sure...

Are you saying that G.722 was not negotiated at all? Or that it wasn't the first codec in the list?

If multiple codecs are negotiated, then it is permissible to use them, and even mix their use. (This is most often a cobmination of telephone-events with another codec, but isn't limited to that.

Can you post the actual offer/answer SDP that was used to negotiate the session?

BR/pj

-----Original Message-----
From: sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu
[mailto:sip-implementors-boun...@lists.cs.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of Dale R.
Worley
Sent: den 15 november 2018 05:10
To: Paul Heitkemper
Cc: sip-implementors@lists.cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] RTP with wrong payload

Paul Heitkemper <pheitkem...@iedaudio.com> writes:
RFC 3550 Section 5.1

" A receiver MUST ignore packets with payload types that it does not
understand."

Though this rule is based on the payload type code, and not the encoding.  The
original post says only that the packets contain G.722 data, but if that data
is marked with the payload type code that was negotiated for G.711A, the
recipient will try to decode it as G.711A.
Perhaps the recipient can determine that the data is invalid (as G.711A) and
discard it, but more likely it will decode it into some sort of noise which it
will present to the user.

Dale