On 12/15/19 12:31 AM, Ranjit Avasarala wrote:
Hi
I have a scenario where the terminating device responds with SIP 488 Not
Acceptable here response.  It is understood that the terminating device
does not support any of the codecs that the incoming INVITE has.

this issue occurred when a landline called VoLTE device and the
intermediate MSC/MGCF translated the SS7 message to SIP INVITE and put the
codecs it supports.  So since the terminating device does not support any
of the listed codecs in SIP INVITE SDP offer, it responded with 488 response

So my query is - is there a way the terminating device could indicate the
list of codecs it supports in 488 response?

RFC3261:

21.4.26 488 Not Acceptable Here

   The response has the same meaning as 606 (Not Acceptable), but only
   applies to the specific resource addressed by the Request-URI and the
   request may succeed elsewhere.

   A message body containing a description of media capabilities MAY be
   present in the response, which is formatted according to the Accept
   header field in the INVITE (or application/sdp if not present), the
   same as a message body in a 200 (OK) response to an OPTIONS request.