Thanks, John.

I'll have a look at the code that does this, and I appreciate your
saying that you believe a 1 sector partition is a reasonable solution.

The inherent problem is that "parted", while nice in many respects,
fails to allow you to create arbitrarily numbered partitions.  _It_
chooses the partition number, which means that you have to create them
in order -> bummer.

Anyway, i'll have a look at some point to see if we can insert a zero
length, or a 1 sector sized partition in for missing partitions.

Cheers, -Brian

Thus spake John Chabalko ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

Hi there - i have a quick question regarding a small problem we've come across using system imager in our environment. We have a golden client that has a partition table with no sda3

we've got:

/dev/sda1 (primary)
/dev/sda2 (primary)
/dev/sda4 (extended)
/dev/sda5 (logical)
/dev/sda6 (logical)
/dev/sda7 (logical)

we can take the image from the golden client with out any problems, but
during the filesystem creation part of the imaging process (putting this
image on a fresh machine) the partition creation fails.

we have fixed this by creating sda3 with a size of 1 sector but would like
to not have to do that as it uses some space which could otherwise be
utilized. this *is* an acceptable fix for this problem - just figured that
this scenerio could be incorporated into a later release if anyone else
had problems like this...

the reason for this some what strange partition table is that it's a
requirement for using Veritas Volume Manager on these systems. Basically
we've built these images so that we can install Veritas on any of the
systems that we've created using this image. Veritas requires 1 primary
partition be free (we've chosen sda3, could be 1, 2 or 4 i guess just as
easily) and that there be some unallocated space (few megs) at the end of
the disk for private region information.

-john

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: Oracle 10g Get certified on the hottest thing ever to hit the market... Oracle 10g. Take an Oracle 10g class now, and we'll give you the exam FREE. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id149&alloc_id?66&op=click _______________________________________________ Sisuite-users mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/sisuite-users

From Windows to Linux, servers to mobile, InstallShield X is the one
installation-authoring solution that does it all. Learn more and