This is a resend from Friday Sept 16th with some of the history deleted - the msg was over the 40 KB limit
 and was not posted.

Seth,

- Yes on the std boot pkg for 3.4.1 cciss does not load.
- By editing linux.i386.config as given below and rebuilding it
  does work successfully. By doing this I also reduced the overall size
  (turned off some hw I don't have) of the boot image soe it easily
   fits on a floppy using si_mkautoinstalldiskette.
    - suggest changing  si_mkautoinstalldiskette and /etc/init.d/rcS to
       default to the larger /dev/fd0u1680 so the default boot image fits in 3.4.1
- Yes a "modprobe cciss" also works on the std image.
-  3.4.1 uses linux-2.4.25 which has cciss 2.4.50
    I  latest 2.4 kernel driver I have is 2.4.54.RH1(from RH ES 3). I might try dropping this
    in to see if it cahnges anything. The version with Systemimager 3.5.2 is v2.6.2 and yes
    it has significantly changed.

- I gave up on grub long ago and use Lilo which works without a hitch(okay up2date
  pukes on a kernel update even though lilo is updated sucessfully).

- One question I have is :

  Does the new 3.5.x systemimager work correctly with 2.4.x kernel machines ?

Thanks

David K Livingstone
CN Signals and Communications
10229 127 Avenue floor 2