Performance relives major events of 1968

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/arlingtonheights/entertainment/1166496,db-america-091808-s1.article

September 18, 2008
By MYRNA PETLICKI Contributor

Any way you look at it, 1968 was an extraordinary year in this
country. Michael J. Miles looks at it month by month in "America
1968," Saturday, Sept. 27, at the Prairie Center for the Arts in Schaumburg.

The Glenview musician, composer and musical playwright was inspired
to write this show following the success of "America 1941," part of a
series Miles created that he calls "Musical Documentaries for the Stage."

Dec. 7 to Sept. 11

"America 1941" gave a monthly account of that year leading up to the
Dec. 7 Pearl Harbor attacks. "Everything changed in America after
Pearl Harbor," Miles said. "The entire piece was finished and in its
final phase of rehearsal when 9/11 happened." It was first performed
six weeks after that fatal day. "Then there were all these
comparisons," he said.

Miles began thinking about other significant years he could examine
through this format. "1968 seemed complicated by comparison to 1941
because of all the stuff that happened in that year -- the
assassinations, the Tet Offensive (in Vietnam), the Democratic
Convention," he said. "It was a wild year for music and popular culture."

Once again, Miles has created a show for which comparisons can be
drawn to the present day. In this case, the events of 1968 bear
"incredible parallels to the war in Iraq," Miles said.
Music charts

"America 1968" features a cast of nine musician/actors. The
multimedia show also includes video projections of photographs, some
short historic clips and TV commercials. Audience members will hear
some of the best songs from that year, including Steppenwolf's "Born
to be Wild," "Hey Jude" by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones' "Jumpin'
Jack Flash" and Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man."

Cast members become numerous people from that period, speaking the
words of Robert Kennedy, J. Edgar Hoover, Abbie Hoffman, Alan
Ginsberg, Walter Cronkite, Loretta Lynn, Richard Nixon, Vietnam
veterans and many others who impacted or were impacted by that period
in our country's history.

The words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who was assassinated that
year, are also heard -- but not the "I Have a Dream" speech. The
amazingly predictive speech Miles uncovered through extensive
research begins: "The only way we can achieve freedom is to conquer
the fear of death for if a man has not discovered something that he
will die for, he isn't fit to live."

This is the 40th anniversary of that tumultuous year but Miles
insisted, "I didn't set out to coincide with that because it took me
several years to write." The first performance was last October at
the Old Town School of Folk Music. The Prairie Center engagement will
be the second time the show is performed, but several future dates
have been booked.
History lessons

Rob Pileckis, production supervisor of the Prairie Center for the
Arts, said the show "was highly touted by the press last year when he
was at the Old Town School of Folk Music, so we're really looking
forward to getting him here. I think the timeliness of the show is
striking, this being an election year. And even though we're not
having a convention here, the convention in '68 was in Chicago so I
think there's a local interest in it as well. All the elements
combined make us look back at the era and think about how things have
changed and how things might change again in the future."

Miles is confident that audience members will connect with the show.
"This is our American story," he said.

.