Tookie Williams: A martyr for the struggle

http://www.workers.org/2008/us/tookie_williams_1009/

Workers World book review

By Larry Hales
Published Oct 2, 2008

"My rage was nourished by the hate I saw and felt from mainstream
society and white people, a hate based on my black skin and my
historical place at the nadir of America's social caste. I was filled
with hate for injustice. Yet my reaction to the hate was violence
directed only toward blacks."
--

Stanley Tookie Williams' "Blue Rage, Black Redemption" is a story of
the seething rage within him and the heroic task he undertakes to

He begins this process while on death row, where his life has been
given an end date. And though he conveys that he knows the system has
every intention to fulfill the barbaric sentence, while deepening his
political understanding and self-actualization he gives the
impression of always looking forward, beyond the conditions of
prison, the hole and the death sentence hanging over him.

By writing his memoirs, he intends for his life to be an example, a
warning sign for other oppressed youth to not diverge down the same
path that he took.

In the introduction, Tookie says: "The title of this book represents
two extreme phases of my life. 'Blue Rage' is a chronicle of my
passage down a spiraling path of Crip rage in South Central Los
Angeles. 'Black Redemption' depicts the stages of my redemptive
awakening during my more than 23 years of imprisonment on
California's death row. These memoirs of my evolution will, I hope,
connect the reader to a deeper awareness of a social epidemic that is
the unending nightmare of racial minorities in America and abroad as well.

"Throughout my life I was hoodwinked by South Central's terminal
conditions. ... From the beginning I was spoon-fed negative
stereotypes that covertly positioned black people as genetic
criminals­inferior, illiterate, shiftless, promiscuous. ... Having
bought into the myth, I was shackled to the lowest socioeconomic rung
where underprivileged citizens compete ruthlessly for morsels of the
America pie­a pie theoretically served proportionately to all, based
on their ambition, intelligence, and perseverance."

Tookie begins the book at his birth on December 29, 1953, at New
Orleans Charity Hospital, recounted for him by his mother, with the
words, "I entered the world kicking and screaming in a caesarean
ritual of blood and scalpels." He relates how his mother endured the
ordeal without anesthetics, which were denied to her because she was
Black, and that to try and dull the pain in her mind she sang the
Christmas carol, "Silent Night," over and over again.

His birth foreshadowed his life and death, because, though lethal
injection is touted as being quick and painless, because of a botched
procedure during his execution Tookie languished, struggling for
life, for 30 minutes. In the epilogue, Barbara Becnel, Tookie's
friend, advocate and co-author, who witnessed the horrifying ordeal,
describes: "The midsection of Stan's body did not stay still. It
began to contort, caving in to the point of distortion­his stomach
appeared to have been sucked dry of all internal organs, as it sunk
so low it nearly touched his spine. And his convulsing continued for
a while. At the sight of Stan's monumental struggle to die, I thought
that I heard an audible and collective gasp fill the room."

But the recollection of the difficult conditions of his birth also
portend his life, because it points to the toll racism takes on the
Black soul­the real effects it has on everyday life, the damage it
does to the Black psyche and the ramifications of a colonized mind.

In "Black Skin, White Masks," Frantz Fanon, the Martinique-born Black
revolutionary theorist, wrote: "A drama is played out every day in
the colonized countries. How can we explain, for example, that a
black guy who has passed his baccalaureate and arrives at the
Sorbonne to study for his degree in philosophy is already on his
guard before there is the sign of any conflict?" Of course, the
situation depicted is different, but the meaning is that it is with
great reservation and tenseness that an oppressed nationality steps
out into the world, because of the history of wealth built off the
backs of those of darker skin and the history of genocide, theft of
land and slavery.

The rage of the first half of the book comes from the conditions
imposed upon oppressed Black youth in South Central and of the
inferiority complex pressed upon them because of the whitewashed view
of history taught to U.S. society.

The rage, however, manifested in a self-hatred: "Unlike those ashamed
to admit their motivation or too blind to recognize it, I forged
through much of my life locked into a hostile intimacy with America's
wrongness. Conditioned and brainwashed to hate myself, and my own
race, other black people became my prey and the Crips my sword.
Though I cannot condone it, much of the violence I inflicted on my
gang rivals and other blacks was an unconscious display of my
frustrations with poverty, racism, police brutality, and other
systemic injustices routinely visited upon residents of urban black
colonies such as South Central Los Angeles."

Seeking self-worth and the protection of other street organizations
of Black youth, Tookie, Raymond Washington and their friends built
the Crips and consolidated many of the other gangs into the fold. He
states that they were not aware of the Black Panther Party or other
militant and revolutionary organizations, but that if they had been,
that perhaps their energies would have been directed towards the
struggle and that he and his friends would have been ready and
willing foot soldiers.

Real material conditions bring about phenomena. Tookie is a martyr
for the struggle for a better world. Not only was he victimized by
the conditions of exploitation, but, facing certain death, he
transformed himself and sought redemption from the oppressed around
the world by using his life as a guide, exposing both the ugly and
his many mistakes, the camaraderie of himself and his fellow
inmates­the inescapable beauty of life.

His memoirs, which also uncover the frame-up that sent him to be
executed­a state-sanctioned murder­belong in the pantheon of other
autobiographies of Black heroes like "The Autobiography of Malcolm X."

Stanley Tookie Williams, ¡Presente!

.