'The Beats: A Graphic History'

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/20/RVGS1650K8.DTL

Gerald Nicosia, Special to The Chronicle
Sunday, March 22, 2009

The Beats
A Graphic History
By Harvey Pekar, Nancy J. Peters, Penelope Rosemont, Joyce Brabner,
Trina Robbins and Tuli Kupferberg
(Hill and Wang; 199 pages; $22)

In some respects, Harvey Pekar is today what Jack Kerouac was to the
America of the '50s and '60s - a gadfly, a voice of the working
class, an honest eye on the world and a prophet very much
unappreciated in his own time. So a book by Harvey Pekar on the Beats
ought to be a natural sequel to the underground American Splendor
comics for which the Cleveland file-clerk-turned-author became famous.

Unfortunately, the early part of "The Beats: A Graphic History,"
especially the section about Kerouac, is a pure disaster.

I have no problem with the variation in graphic representations of
Kerouac, ranging, for example, from Ed Piskor's schlumpy John
Garfield look-alike, to Jay Kinney's James Dean-style matinee idol,
to Summer McClinton's rather dufus-looking Jack, a sort of slightly
better-looking Ernest Borgnine. The diversity of cartoon styles, in
fact, helps keep the book moving. But facts cannot be altered with
the same impunity.

On the very first page there is a mistake. We're told that Kerouac
"developed a love for literature and wanted to become a professional
writer" while at Horace Mann prep school in New York. Actually
Kerouac, though the son of blue-collar workers in Lowell, Mass., had
read his way through the public library before he ever left his
depressed mill town. His heroes were already Jack London, William
Saroyan and Thomas Wolfe, and the only reason he went to the Big
Apple was to follow in their footsteps.

Truth vs. fiction

After two dozen errors, I stopped counting. But I couldn't help
asking myself what reason there can be to retell these stories yet
again if one can't bring something new to them. Some might say
there's no harm in Pekar turning a legitimate real daughter (Jan
Kerouac) into an illegitimate fake one, or turning an unattractive
older lady (Stella Sampas) married as a caretaker for Kerouac's
mother into a beautiful, sexy bride, but a lot of Pekar's
misrepresentations go deeper, and truly change what the Beat movement
stood for and what forces opposed and undermined it.

Kerouac was not "hampered in trying to capitalize on his new fame ...
by booze and drugs," as Pekar claims. Think of all the famous drunken
writers, from F. Scott Fitzgerald to Charles Bukowski. Rather,
Kerouac was viciously attacked by the media - called a "black spot on
America" and a "spokesman for thugs" - for a full decade after his
belated success with his novel "On the Road" in 1957.

And Kerouac wasn't mainly seeking publicity anyway, so it's an even
further insult when Pekar suggests Kerouac didn't visit his friend
Neal Cassady in San Quentin, where Neal spent two years for a minor
pot bust, because he feared "bad publicity." The real reason Kerouac
didn't visit Cassady in prison was Jack's shame and fear that by
using his friend to create a figurehead of revolutionary personal
freedom, he'd made Cassady a target of the police, and thus destroyed
his friend's career and family life.

But just when I began to give up on it, the book picked up, primarily
because Pekar's understanding of the minor Beat figures is far
sharper than his take on the famous ones. Considering that Pekar is
an everyman's everyman, it makes perfect sense that he'd feel more
kinship with figures like the indigent, invalid poet and painter
Kenneth Patchen, who spent most of his life at home being cared for
by his wife, Miriam, or Cleveland's first working-class rebel poet,
d.a. levy, who was busted so many times for obscenity that he
committed suicide just after his 26th birthday.

Lesser-known names

When we get to the array of Beat fringe artists and poets, the book
takes on a personality and voice of its own. In the section titled
"The Janitor," about the first "hobohemian," Slim Brundage, the
founder of Chicago's College of Complexes cafe, Pekar finally begins
to inhabit some of his characters enough to let his celebrated humor
kick in. We learn, for instance, that Brundage once ran a beatnik for
president on a platform calling for "the abolition of money,
government, and work," and that he was "the kind of guy who could sit
on a barrel of scotch in a harem and complain."

Pekar also clearly feels the tragedy of others like Patchen and levy.
He writes that Patchen "was in constant pain" and that levy was
"depressed because he was poor" and couldn't make a living from his
poetry. I also liked Pekar's personal definition of Beat as "tough,
funny, pissed-off and ecstatic."

Toward the end, the book starts to feel like a successful jazz
ensemble, with Pekar's own performance enhanced by virtuoso solos
from a variety of writers. Poet Nancy Peters offers a lively history
of the City Lights bookstore and its championing of First Amendment
rights, as well as a touching reminiscence of her late husband, the
visionary surrealist poet Philip Lamantia. Trina Robbins gives a
moving account of Beat painter Jay DeFeo, who unknowingly poisoned
herself by licking white leaded paint off her brush as she spent
years completing her 11-by-8-foot masterpiece, "The Rose."

Not just men

Pekar's wife, Joyce Brabner, makes a strong case for the importance
of "beatnik chicks," whose "cleavage didn't spill out of their
clothes," but who - mostly unnoticed by their famous husbands and
boyfriends - "spent long nights writing or making art."

For my money, though, the best sequence in the book is by 86-year-old
Fugs co-founder, performer and poet Tuli Kupferberg. In great detail,
aided by the often hilarious drawings of Jeffrey Lewis (who gets my
vote for best cartooning in the book as well), Kupferberg lays out
something I'd never seen explained so clearly before - how "the
consciousness that started in a few minds as the 'Beat' scene [began]
exploding into a nationwide 60's counter-culture."

All in all, "The Beats: A Graphic History" is notable for the
completeness of its portrait of that magical era - an achievement
that, whether in comics or literary biographies, is as impressive as
it is rare.
--

Gerald Nicosia is the author of "Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of
Jack Kerouac." E-mail him at bo...@sfchronicle.com.

.