Ayers: 'To be young in Chicago was to be a n-gger'

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=138309

Obama's ex-terrorist associate saw himself as target of discrimination

By Aaron Klein

"To be young in Chicago was to be a n-gger."

Those were the words of Weather Underground terrorist group founder William Ayers, speaking toward the beginning of his anti-war activism in the fall of 1968.

At the time, Ayers was a full-time leader of Students for a Democratic Society, the national protest group from which the Weathermen would later splinter.

Ayers in the mid-1960s had first founded Children's Community, an integrated school community in Ann Arbor, Mich. As an education reformist, he gave an interview at the beginning of the 1968 school year to the education magazine "About Schools" in which he described his emerging anti-war activism.

The interview has not received media attention until now.

Ayers described to the publication his participation and subsequent arrest in an anti-war demonstration with two other teachers from Ann Arbor, Diana Oughton and Skip Taube.

"To be young in Chicago was to be a n-gger," Ayers said of his arrest.

Ayers apparently was claiming he had been the target of discrimination.

He told "About Schools" of one incident in which he tried to get into a hotel to carry out protest activities but was stopped by police. Ayers describes a "handsome" kid with the last name of McCarthy, who was "well-dressed, came along and asked to go in and the police were about to let him," according to the account.

Ayers related McCarthy grabbed another protester named Bill by the arm and said, "He's my friend ­ we're both going in." Immediately, Ayers said, "the handsome guy became a nigger too and both of us were kept out."

Close Obama associate Ayers became a name in the 2008 presidential campaign when it was disclosed the radical worked closely with Obama for years.

Ayers helped launch Obama's political career with a fundraiser in his home. Obama served on the board of a Chicago nonprofit alongside Ayers. The former terrorist later hired Obama to serve as chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a job Obama later cited as experience that helped qualify him to run for public office.

While at the CAC, Obama and Ayers both granted funds to the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

WND columnist Jack Cashill has produced a series of persuasive arguments that it was Ayers who ghostwrote Obama's award-winning autobiography, "Dreams from My Father."

Ayers and Dohrn were two of the main founders of the Weather Underground. The terror group bombed the New York City Police headquarters in 1970, the U.S. Capitol building in 1971 and the Pentagon in 1972. The group was responsible for some 30 bombings aimed at destroying the defense and security infrastructures of the U.S.

Characterizing the Weather Underground as "an American Red Army," Ayers summed up the organization's ideology: "Kill all the rich people. Break up their cars and apartments. Bring the revolution home, Kill your parents."

"Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon," Ayers recalled in his 2001 memoir "Fugitive Days." "The sky was blue. The birds were singing. And the bastards were finally going to get what was coming to them."

Ayers brandished his unrepentant radicalism for years to come, as evidenced by his now notorious 2001 interview with the New York Times, published one day after the 9/11 attacks, in which he stated, "I don't regret setting bombs. I feel we didn't do enough."

Ayers posed for a photograph accompanying the New York Times piece that showed him stepping on an American flag. He said of the U.S.: "What a country. It makes me want to puke."

.