http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=32516.7111183507/rid=70a933584a3e79c3a1aed40caba10884
___________________________________

  The Rag Blog Digest  June 23, 2011

 theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571671/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/
 )

 Richard D. Jehn, founder    Thorne Webb Dreyer, editor

Roger  Baker : Have We Turned the Corner on Peak Driving? (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571672/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/roger-baker-have-we-turned-corner-on.html
 ) by  Roger Baker / The Rag Blog. In his latest analysis ofour  transportation
mess, Roger tells us that "total driving in the USA might have  already peaked
forever." There is much evidence of a shift in driving behavior  caused by
factors like unemployment, traffic congestion, and the growing age of  the
populace. And, since many experts believe we are near or past peak global  oil
production, driving will increasingly be less affordable.

David  P. Hamilton : How Social Security Works in the U.S. and  France (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571673/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/david-p-hamilton-how-social-security.html
 ) by David P. Hamilton / The Rag  Blog. Reporting from Paris, David compares
and contrasts the  Social Security systems in the U.S. and France --
anddiscusses the growing  problems faced in both countries. "In France," David
tells us, "the system is  more costly, more complicated, and provides more
benefits, but employers and the  wealthy pay a higher percentage of the costs."

Joshua  Holland : Governor 'Goodhair' and the 'Texas Miracle' (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571674/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/joshua-holland-governor-goodhair-and.html
 ) by  Joshua Holland / AlterNet. Conservative mythology now holds up  Texas as
a shining example of right-wing governance in action -- a model for the  nation
-- but it's actually a "blueprint for winning the race to the bottom,"
destroying an already threadbare social safety net in the process.Under Gov.
Rick "Goodhair" Perry, Texas has, in fact, become a "basket-case," and would be
 faring even worse today without the help of policies enacted by Democrats at
the  national level.

Lamar  W. Hankins : When Religion Restricts Our Freedom (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571675/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/lamar-w-hankins-when-religion-restricts.html
 ) by  Lamar W. Hankins / The Rag Blog. The U.S. Conference of  Catholic
Bishops recently revised its policiesregarding aid in dyingfor the  terminally
ill. Although their views traditionally only apply to Catholic health
institutions,the bishopsnow want to contribute to a "fundamental public
debate" about the "strong resurgence"of the assisted-suicide movement,and are
attempting to "press upon non-Catholics... behaviors and ethical standards"
based on Catholic theology.

EVERY FRIDAY: KEEP TUNED IN WITH RAG RADIO!

Rag Radio with Thorne Dreyer (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571676/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ): Every Friday, 2-3 p.m. (CST) on KOOP 91.7 Austin.
To stream online, go here (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571677/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/pages.item.86/stream-koop-listen-online.html
 ).

Rag Radio features hour-long in-depth  interviews and discussion about issues
of progressive politics, culture,  and history. Our guests include newsmakers,
artists, leading thinkers, and  public figures

June 24, 2011: Environmental Activist Diane Wilson, author of Eco-Outlaw.
July 1, 2011: Media Producer and Counterculture Veteran, Bob Simmons.

Listen to Thorne Dreyer's June17 interview with  (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571678/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-06-17
 )Vietnam Vet and Peace Activist  (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571679/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-06-17
 )Terry DuBose (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571680/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-06-17
 ).
Listen to earlier shows on Rag Radio (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571681/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ).

Peak driving: Have we turned the corner?

Robert  S. Becker : The Environmental Rabble-Rousing of Diane  Wilson (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571682/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/robert-s-becker-environmental-rabble.html
 ) by Robert S. Becker / OpEd  News. Environmental activist Diane Wilson -- who
will be Thorne  Dreyer's guest on Rag Radio this Friday, June 24 (go to article
for details) --  has become a champion who "takes risks, gets bloodied and
arrested, and endures  jail -- then turns her adventures into good-hearted,
epic tales reminiscent of  Mark Twain." Wilson, a shrimper from Seadrift, Texas
--and the author of  Diary of an Eco-Outlaw --has become an inspiring leader of
the  environmental protest movement and a prime nemesis of corporate polluters.

Ted  McLaughlin : We're Killing Off Our Oceans (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571683/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/ted-mclaughlin-were-killing-off-our.html
 ) by Ted  McLaughlin / The Rag Blog. Recent studies show that our oceans  --
victims of over-fishing, pollution, and man-made global climate change --  are
reaching a critical point much faster than previously thought. Scientists
fromseveral disciplines came together recently and found that the combined
effects on our oceansare creating a "globally significant extinction event"
that demands immediate action.

SPORT  / Dave Zirin : When Muhammad Ali Took the Weight (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571684/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/sport-dave-zirin-when-muhammad-ali-took.html
 ) by Dave  Zirin / The Rag Blog. On June 20, 1967, boxer Muhammad Ali was
convicted in Houstonfor refusing induction into the U.S. armed forces. Ali, the
 former Cassius Clay, considered the War in Vietnamto bean exercise in
genocide. "Why should they ask me to put on a uniform," Ali said, "and go
10,000  miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam
while  so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs?"

FILM  / Bob Simmons : The Cave of Forgotten Austin (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571685/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/film-bob-simmons-cave-of-forgotten.html
 ) by Bob  Simmons / The Rag Blog. Werner Herzog's Cave of Forgotten  Dreams is
a "3-D jewel of sensitive movie making"about a cave in the  Ardeche Gorge of
France that features unmarred Neolithic wallpaintings done in  the Pleistocene
Age. Simmons contrasts the "timeless void" revealed though a  tiny opening in
the cliff face with the"clanging modernity and angularity of  Austin's 2nd
Street" -- with its "backslapping, air-kissing, high-fiving...  young homo
sapiens" strolling past sidewalk  cafes.

Extinction event?: Our oceans at risk.

The Rag Blog is a non-profit internet newsmagazine produced by activist
journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is published
by the New Journalism Project, inc., a Texas non-profit corporation
that
has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This status is retroactive to Oct. 9,
2008.

If you do not wish to receive further email from The Rag Blog, please click on
the "opt out" button below.

If you have received this newsletter at more than one address, please "opt out"
at addresses where you don't wish to receive these
mailings.

The New Journalism Project, inc.

P.O. Box  16442

Austin, TX 78761-6442

theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7111183507/208597768/223571686/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com
 )

Please become a Rag Blog Supporter.

 We take no advertising and depend entirely on your  support.

Please help us continue our work with a donation

of $10, $20,  $50 or whatever you can afford.

P.O. Box 14672 | Austin, TX 78761-4672 US

___________________________________

    forward this email to a friend

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:32516.7111183507/send_to_friend/rid:70a933584a3e79c3a1aed40caba10884

This email was sent to . To ensure that you continue receiving our emails,
please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences:
opt out using TrueRemove(tm):

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma
http://www.myemma.com