http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=32516.7163159314/rid=6aea5b7a3492be48d6f36bf76862efef
___________________________________

  The Rag Blog Digest  August 11, 2011

 theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208133/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/
 )

 Richard D. Jehn, founder    Thorne Webb Dreyer, editor

Nancy  Miller Saunders : Jane Fonda and the 'Home of the Brave' (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208134/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/nancy-miller-saunders-jane-fonda-and.html
 )by  Nancy Miller Saunders / The Rag Blog. Filmmaker and author  Saunders
remembers Jane Fonda's historic role in support ofthe Vietnam Veterans  Against
the War (VVAW) and the Winter Soldiers Investigation -- and the  continuing
assault onFonda by "Swiftboater types"nearly 40 years later. Cable  channel QVC
recently canceled an appearance in which Fonda was going to talk  about her new
book -- due to right wing pressure.

VERSE  / Felix Shafer : hey, marilyn (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208135/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/verse-felix-shafer-hey-marilyn.html
 )by Felix Shafer / The Rag  Blog. A moving poetic tribute to Marilyn Buck on
the anniversary  of her death.Shafer previously wrote "Mourning Marilyn Buck,"
a three-part  Rag Blogseries about the acclaimed poet and long-timepolitical
prisoner who dieda year ago of cancer.The post also includes "Why We Sing," a
poem by Uruguayan writer Mario Benedetti.

Carl  Davidson : Winter of Our Discontent? (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208136/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/carl-davidson-winter-of-our-discontent.html
 )by Carl Davidson /  The Rag Blog. Writer and progressive organizer Davidson
looks  at the summer rebellions in the impoverished communities in London and
other  industrial centers of the UK -- as well as the Arab spring uprisings--
and,  taking into account our current situation exacerbated by the GOP-led
"Shock Doctrine"  -- wonders if similar unrest could be in the cards for the
U.S. this  winter.

Harry  Targ : Sometimes We Have to Sing (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208137/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/harry-targ-sometimes-we-have-to-sing.html
 )by Harry Targ / The  Rag Blog. Professor Targ says it was music that first
planted the  seeds of his political radicalization,from Pete Seeger andWoody
Guthrie and  Cisco Houston. He discusses Les Rice's song "The Banks are Made of
Marble,"  recorded by Pete Seeger and The Weavers ("...the banks are made of
marble / With  a guard at every door"), and Woody Guthrie's "Pretty Boy Floyd,"
("Some will rob  you with a six-gun / And some with a fountain pen"). We
include videos of both  songs.

Bob  Feldman : The Hidden History of Texas (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208138/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/bob-feldman-hidden-history-of-texas.html
 )by Bob Feldman /  The Rag Blog. Feldman's new Rag Blogseries is  designed to
supplement the standard-fare history we're fed, and will feature  little-known
facts about Texas. He begins with the pre-1821 years, when, for  instance, only
Catholics were allowed to worship openly bythe Spanish  authorities.As to our
roots, long before Europeans of Christian background  arrived in the 1500s,
Native American people had been living in what is now  Texas for over 10,000
years.

David  P. Hamilton : France is on Vacation (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208139/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/david-p-hamilton-france-is-on-vacation.html
 )by David P. Hamilton /  The Rag Blog. In his series of dispatches from Paris,
David  provides us with insights on French politics and culture. This week
hepoints  outthat it's August, so "France is on vacation." Muchof France simply
shuts  down and"hundreds of thousands of Parisians leave every year at
virtually the  same time..."French workers get 37 days a year of paid vacation,
much more than  in the U.S. -- and therein lies a tale about the differences
between our two  cultures.

EVERY FRIDAY: KEEP TUNED IN WITH RAG RADIO!

Rag Radio with Thorne Dreyer (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208140/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ): Every Friday, 2-3 p.m. (CST) on KOOP 91.7-FM in Austin.
To stream online, go here (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208141/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/pages.item.86/stream-koop-listen-online.html
 ).

Rag Radio features hour-long in-depth  interviews and discussion about issues
of progressive politics, culture,  and history. Our guests include newsmakers,
artists, leading thinkers, and  public figures

August 12, 2011: Bob Cheevers, TX Music Awards Singer/Songwriter of the Year.

August 19, 2011: The Nation's Christian Parenti, Author of Tropic of Chaos.

Listen to Thorne Dreyer's Aug. 5 Interview with Anarchist Community Organizer
and Writer scott crow (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208142/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-08-05-ScottCrow
 ).

Listen to earlier shows on Rag Radio (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208143/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ).

Rag Radio is rebroadcast every Sunday at 10 a.m. (Eastern) on

WFTE, 90.3-FM in Mt. Cobb, PA and 105.7-FM in Scranton, PA.

Winter Soldiers: Jane at the Oleo Strut.

Tony  Platt : Prison Strike at Pelican Bay (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208144/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/tony-platt-prison-strike-at-pelican-bay.html
 )by Tony Platt /  The Rag Blog. Platt reports ona three-week hunger strike by
prisonersatCalifornia's Pelican Bay State Prison,the state'sfirst "supermax"
prison --anda "state-of-the-art hellhole." Pelican Bay holds 3,500 prisoners
(way over capacity) -- and more than 1,000 of them are kept 23 hours a day in 8
 x 10 foot, windowless, constantly lit cells, "subject to sensory deprivation
and  social isolation," sometimes for years at a time.'

Jordan  Flaherty : Historic NOPD Verdict Reveals Post-Katrina Cops Run  Amuck (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208145/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/jordan-flaherty-historic-nopd-verdict.html
 )by Jordan Flaherty / The Rag Blog. In an historic verdict with national
implications, five New Orleans police  officers were convicted in the killing
of unarmed African-Americans in the  aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. This was
the most high-profile of several  prosecutions seeking to hold police
accountable in the storm's wake -- and New  Orleans is one of four major cities
in which the Department of Justice is  investigating local police forces.

FILM  / Ed Felien : Harry Potter Through the Eyes of an Afghan  Child (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208146/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/film-ed-felien-harry-potter-through.html
 )by Ed Felien / The Rag Blog.Felien  suggests that much of the charm of Harry
Potter is "nostalgia for the simple  naivet of childhood," and especially in
our willingness to believe in supernatural powers. He recounts thenarrative of
the latest Potter film andits epic battles, and finds interestingparallels
with ourwars in places like Afghanistan -- and speculates onhow an Afghan
child might relate to some of the themes of Harry Potter.

Lamar  W. Hankins : Beating the Bullies of the Wealthy Class (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208147/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/lamar-w-hankins-beating-bullies-of.html
 )by  Lamar W. Hankins / The Rag Blog.Recountinghis own childhood experiences,
Lamar tells us how he and his friends"wished for  Superman to sweep down and
take care" of the schoolyard bullies. Some of us may  have hoped Barack Obama
would be a modern day Superman (or FDR) who would put  the bullies of Wall
Streetin their place and put Americans back to work.That  sure didn't
happen,but we can still work"to take back the country from the  wealthy elites."

Ted  McLaughlin : Unemployment News is Nothing to Celebrate (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208148/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/ted-mclaughlin-unemployment-news-is.html
 )by  Ted McLaughlin / The Rag Blog. A cursory glance at the latest
unemployment figures might suggest the situation is improving. But Ted says we
shouldn't let ourselves be fooled -- that the number of jobs created in July
wasn't even enough to cover the numberof newworkers entering the work force  --
and that unemployment actually got worse, not better.

Beating the bullies: Waiting for Superman?

The Rag Blog is a non-profit internet newsmagazine produced by activist
journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is published
by the New Journalism Project, inc., a Texas non-profit corporation
that
has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This status is retroactive to Oct. 9,
2008.

If you do not wish to receive further email from The Rag Blog, please click on
the "opt out" button below.

If you have received this newsletter at more than one address, please "opt out"
at addresses where you don't wish to receive these
mailings.

The New Journalism Project, inc.

P.O. Box  16442

Austin, TX 78761-6442

theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7163159314/208639343/224208149/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com
 )

Please become a Rag Blog Supporter.

 We take no advertising and depend entirely on your  support.

Please help us continue our work with a donation

of $10, $20,  $50 or whatever you can afford.

P.O. Box 14672 | Austin, TX 78761-4672 US

___________________________________

    forward this email to a friend

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:32516.7163159314/send_to_friend/rid:6aea5b7a3492be48d6f36bf76862efef

This email was sent to . To ensure that you continue receiving our emails,
please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences:
opt out using TrueRemove(tm):

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma
http://www.myemma.com