http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=32516.7208629033/rid=de8e6ea24d8cdcf0d7d5bf9d4d3d36cd
___________________________________

  The Rag Blog Digest  September 22, 2011

 theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784921/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/
 )

 Richard D. Jehn, founder    Thorne Webb Dreyer, editor

Ivan  Koop Kuper : Huey P. Meaux Was the Crazy Cajun (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784922/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/ivan-koop-kuper-huey-p-meaux-was-crazy.html
 )by Ivan Koop  Kuper / The Rag Blog. Ivan Kuper was a colleague of "Crazy
Cajun" Huey Meaux (the self-proclaimed "producer extraordinaire")when Meaux
hosted a radio show at Houston's KPFT. Ivan brings us a remarkable story about
the life andlegacy of the charismatic Meaux, one of the most influential
independent music producers of his (or any) time --and a highly-flawed
character who twice went to prison for crimes related to drugs, child
prostitution,and child pornography.

Sarito  Carol Neiman : The Anti-Angels of Health Care (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784924/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/sarito-carol-neiman-anti-angels-of.html
 )by Sarito  Carol Neiman / The Rag Blog. This is thethird installment of
Sarito's very personal and engaging report on her father's West Texas medical
odyssey -- and the care he received at the high tech hospital where he had a
recent operation. In discussing her father's situation, Sarito looks at larger
issues involving our health care system, where it fails us,and how we can work
tomake it better.

Don  Swift : Dominionists and the 'Kingdom of God' (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784925/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/don-swift-dominionists-and-kingdom-of.html
 )by Don Swift  / The Rag Blog. Swift continues his cautionary tale about
Dominionism, the theocratic tendency in right wing Christian thought that is
influencing high profile figures like Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and Rick
Perry. Retired history prof Swift recountsDominionism's history, the
theologians who molded it, the different forms it takes,and its growing
political clout,

Bob  Feldman : White Supremacist Republic of Texas, 1836-1845 (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784926/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/bob-feldman-white-supremacist-republic.html
 )by  Bob Feldman / The Rag Blog. Continuing his series on the  "hidden history
of Texas," Bob reports on the independent Republic of Texas,  founded in 1836
and run byAnglo colonists --a "white supremacist" republic  where few freedoms
were given to its African-American residents, including  slaves and freedmen.In
late 1845 the Republic was dissolved and Texas became a  part of the U.S.

Dr.  Stephen R. Keister : Approaching 90, I Despair for my  Country (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784927/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/dr-stephen-r-keister-approaching-90-i.html
 )by Dr. Stephen R. Keister / The Rag  Blog. As retired physician Keister
prepares to enter his ninth  decade, he reflects on the state of his country --
and its corrupted health care  system. "Never have I seen my country so fraught
with danger and despair," he  confides. "Never have I seen such nihilism and
cruelty expressed in public  view."

EVERY FRIDAY: KEEP TUNED IN WITH RAG RADIO!

Rag Radio with Thorne Dreyer (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784928/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ):

Every Friday, 2-3 p.m. (CDT) on KOOP 91.7-FM in Austin.
To stream online, go here (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784930/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/pages.item.86/stream-koop-listen-online.html
 ).

Rag  Radio features hour-long in-depth  interviews and discussion about  issues
of progressive politics, culture,  and history. Our guests  include newsmakers,
artists, leading thinkers, and  public figures

Listen to Thorne Dreyer's Sept. 16, 2011 Rag Radio interview with Houston
Folksinging Legend Don Sanders (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784931/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-09-16-DonSanders
 ).

Sept. 23, 2011: Suspense Novelist David Lindsey on the booming Private
Intelligence Industry.
Oct. 7, 2011: Former Yippie Jonah Raskin, Author of Marijuanaland: Dispatches
From an American War.
Oct. 14, 2011: Scholar, Urban Theorist, Author & Social Activist Mike Davis.

Listen to earlier shows on Rag Radio. (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784932/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 )

Rag Radio is rebroadcast every Sunday at 10 a.m. (Eastern) on

WFTE, 90.3-FM in Mt. Cobb, PA and 105.7-FM in Scranton, PA.

The Crazy Cajun : 'Producer Extraordinaire.'

Rag  Radio : Legendary Houston Folksinger Don Sanders (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784933/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/rag-radio-legendary-houston-folksinger.html
 )Interview  by Thorne Dreyer / Rag Radio.Lyle Lovett called Don Sanders  "the
grand old man of Houston folk music" and John Wilsonsaid in The Rag  Blog
thatSanders "wrote and performed a suite of songs that... provided  the
soundtrack for [a] tumultuous and intensely musical period of Houston's
history." Don talks with Rag Radio's Dreyer and performs several of his
classic songs. Listen to the podcast here.

Carl  Davidson : Who's Waging 'Class Warfare'? (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784934/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/carl-davidson-whos-waging-class-warfare.html
 )by Carl Davidson /  The Rag Blog. The Republicans are accusing the Dems of
waging  "class warfare," but talk about the pot calling the kettle black. "If
you want  to have your class consciousness raised a few notches," Carl
suggests,just  "listen to the Republicans in Congress offer up their shameless
commentary  rejecting President Obama's jobs bill."

Lamar  W. Hankins : Republican Health Care: 'Let Him Die' (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784935/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/lamar-w-hankins-republican-health-care.html
 )by Lamar  W. Hankins / The Rag Blog. During the recent Republican  debate,
many in thecrowd shouted "Yeah!" when Ron Paul was asked if society  should
just let sick people die (which Eugene Robinson called the "low point" of  the
political season). The role of government in taking care of its citizens is
once morea front-and-center issue, and Lamar says that "the U.S. is alone among
 the advanced societies in failing to assure that health care is available to
all  its citizens."

Kate  Braun : Fall Equinox is Celebration of Balance (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784936/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/kate-braun-fall-equinox-is-celebration.html
 )by Kate  Braun / The Rag Blog. The Fall Equinox, also known as Mabon  and
Harvest Home -- when the hours of daylight and darkness are equal --is a
"celebration of balance." Brother Cadfael wrote that"the year proceeds not in a
 straight line... but in acircle that brings the world and man back to the
dimness and mystery in which both began, and out of which a new seed-time and a
 new generation are about to begin."

CARTOON  / Joshua Brown : Life During Wartime: Cutting the  Deal (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784937/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/cartoon-joshua-brown-life-during.html
 )Political cartoon by Joshua Brown / The Rag  Blog. Cartoonist/historian Brown
with a wry commentary on renewed  threats to our "social fabric."

Class warfare? : GOP at the barricades.

The Rag Blog is a non-profit internet newsmagazine produced by activist
journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is published
by the New Journalism Project, inc., a Texas non-profit corporation
that
has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This status is retroactive to Oct. 9,
2008.

If you do not wish to receive further email from The Rag Blog, please click on
the "opt out" button below.

If you have received this newsletter at more than one address, please "opt out"
at addresses where you don't wish to receive these
mailings.

The New Journalism Project, inc.

P.O. Box  16442

Austin, TX 78761-6442

theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7208629033/208678377/224784938/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com
 )

Please become a Rag Blog Supporter.

 We take no advertising and depend entirely on your  support.

Please help us continue our work with a donation

of $10, $20,  $50 or whatever you can afford.

P.O. Box 14672 | Austin, TX 78761-4672 US

___________________________________

    forward this email to a friend

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:32516.7208629033/send_to_friend/rid:de8e6ea24d8cdcf0d7d5bf9d4d3d36cd

This email was sent to sixties-l@googlegroups.com. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:Manage/signupId:55090/id:32516.7208629033/rid:de8e6ea24d8cdcf0d7d5bf9d4d3d36cd
opt out using TrueRemove(tm):
http://e2ma.net/app/view:OptOut/ID:32516.7208629033/signupId:55090/rid:de8e6ea24d8cdcf0d7d5bf9d4d3d36cd

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:55090/acctId:32516/mailingId:208678377/rid:de8e6ea24d8cdcf0d7d5bf9d4d3d36cd

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma
http://www.myemma.com