http://e2ma.net/map/view=CampaignPublic/id=32516.7299516342/rid=ac094775b1f8f6bd85bb8c4369544fb5
___________________________________

  The Rag Blog Digest  October 13, 2011

 theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138928/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/
 )

 Richard D. Jehn, founder    Thorne Webb Dreyer, editor

Ellen  LaConte : Finding Democracy in Unexpected Places (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138929/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/ellen-laconte-finding-democracy-in.html
 ) by  Ellen LaConte / The Rag Blog. "What if nature," Ellen asks,  "rather
than our own history, provides 'the inspiration for genuine democratic
thinking'"? Since our leaders are evidently incapable of dealing  with the
issues -- economic, environmental, political/social -- before them, she
suggests that we reassess how we view the concept of democracy. For some of the
 answers, we might turn to nature itself.

Steve  Russell : 'Chief' Was Born on Death Row (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138930/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/steve-russell-chief-was-born-on-death.html
 ) by Steve Russell  / The Rag Blog. Retired judge and Cherokee Indian Russell
looks at capital punishment ("those without the capital get the punishment")
and  the case of American Indian Douglas "Chief" Stankewitz, who has spent 33
years  on death row at San Quentin. Steve tells us that Chief has essentially
been a  condemned man hisentire life, and that, to understand his story, we
must also  understand the "spectacular destruction of California Indians."

Rag  Radio : Activist/Journalist Jonah Raskin, Author of  'Marijuanaland' (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138931/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/rag-radio-activistjournalist-jonah.html
 ) Interview by Thorne Dreyer / Rag  Radio. Go here to listen to the podcast of
Dreyer's interview with  California-based writer Jonah Raskin, author of
Marijuanaland: Dispatches  from an American War. Raskin discusses cannabis
culture, politics,  economics, medicine, and law -- and the unsuccessful2010
Prop. 19 campaign to  legalize some possession of marijuana.

Robert  Creamer : Why the Occupy Wall Street Movement Frightens the  Right (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138932/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/robert-creamer-why-occupy-wall-street.html
 )-- By Robert Creamer / Progressive America  Rising. Theminions of the Right
aren'tafraid of the Occupy Wall  Street movement because of Eric Cantor's
feigned fear of "the mob" that is "occupying our cities." But they are worried
that their electoral heads may  roll. Telling us that all elections are decided
by "persuadable voters" and  "mobilizable voters," Creamer says that the
movement could affect the behavior  of those groups -- and he lays out five
reasons why.

EVERY FRIDAY: KEEP TUNED IN WITH RAG RADIO!

Rag Radio with Thorne Dreyer (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138933/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 ):

Every Friday, 2-3 p.m. (CDT) on KOOP 91.7-FM in Austin.
To stream online, go here (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138934/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/pages.item.86/stream-koop-listen-online.html
 ).

Rag  Radio features hour-long in-depth  interviews and discussion about  issues
of progressive politics, culture,  and history. Our guests  include newsmakers,
artists, leading thinkers, and  public figures

Listen to Thorne Dreyer's Oct. 7, 2011 Rag Radio interview with Writer/Activist
Jonah Raskin (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138935/32516/goto:http://www.archive.org/details/RagRadio2011-10-07-JonahRaskin
 ), Author of Marijuanaland: Dispatches From an American War.

Oct. 14, 2011: Scholar, Urban Theorist, Author & Social Activist Mike Davis.

Listen to earlier shows on Rag Radio. (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138936/32516/goto:http://www.koop.org/schedule/detail.php?ext=info&oa_id=33
 )

Rag Radio is rebroadcast every Sunday at 10 a.m. (Eastern) on

WFTE, 90.3-FM in Mt. Cobb, PA and 105.7-FM in Scranton, PA.

Green democracy : Learning from nature.

Lamar  W. Hankins : Documenting Flawed Forensics and the Willingham  Execution
(
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138937/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/lamar-w-hankins-documenting-flawed.html
 ) by Lamar W. Hankins / The Rag  Blog. The new documentary film-- Incendiary:
The Willingham  Case -- is about the execution of Cameron Todd Willingham for
arson in a    fire that killed his three children.The film focuses on "what
happens   when  supposedly expert witnesses in a criminal case get the forensic
  science wrong,"  and "what happens when politicians pretend that the
criminal justice system  works well."

Harry  Targ : Drones, Banks, and Multitudes (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138938/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/harry-targ-drones-banks-and-multitudes.html
 ) by Harry Targ /  The Rag Blog. Professor Targ's latest post deals with the
point at which "symbolic"  politics becomes "real" politics. He usesthree
symbols to represent  today's politics. Drones refer metaphorically to
high-tech   state-directed murder. Banks symbolize the capitalist economic
system  "that  organizes workers to generate wealth that is increasingly
appropriated by the  few." And the multitudes refers to the rising up of  the
masses, "the underside  of a new global order."

Jonah  Raskin : Occupy Austin: This is Just the Beginning (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138939/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/jonah-raskin-occupy-austin-this-is-just.html
 ) by  Jonah Raskin / The Rag Blog. Raskin'scolorful impressions of  Occupy
Austin which, on its first  day, brought 1,500 "youthful demonstrators,  aging
protesters, and  ageless rabble-rousers" to agathering outside Austin City
Hall.Jonah  tellsus that Occupy Austin had some of the flavor of aprotest from
 the 1960s -- a time when everything "felt frozen and dead." "America  needed
awakening then, too," Jonah reminds us. Includes a great gallery  of photos
from the  event.

Something's happening here : Austin occupied.

The Rag Blog is a non-profit internet newsmagazine produced by activist
journalists committed to progressive social change. The Rag Blog is published
by the New Journalism Project, inc., a Texas non-profit corporation
that
has been granted tax-exempt status under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal
Revenue Code. This status is retroactive to Oct. 9,
2008.

If you do not wish to receive further email from The Rag Blog, please click on
the "opt out" button below.

If you have received this newsletter at more than one address, please "opt out"
at addresses where you don't wish to receive these
mailings.

The New Journalism Project, inc.

P.O. Box  16442

Austin, TX 78761-6442

theragblog.blogspot.com (
http://e2ma.net/go/7299516342/208702601/226138940/32516/goto:http://theragblog.blogspot.com
 )

Please become a Rag Blog Supporter.

 We take no advertising and depend entirely on your  support.

Please help us continue our work with a donation

of $10, $20,  $50 or whatever you can afford.

P.O. Box 14672 | Austin, TX 78761-4672 US

___________________________________

    forward this email to a friend

http://e2ma.net/app/view:Forward/ID:32516.7299516342/send_to_friend/rid:ac094775b1f8f6bd85bb8c4369544fb5

This email was sent to sixties-l@googlegroups.com. To ensure that you continue
receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.

manage your preferences:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:Manage/signupId:55090/id:32516.7299516342/rid:ac094775b1f8f6bd85bb8c4369544fb5
opt out using TrueRemove(tm):
http://e2ma.net/app/view:OptOut/ID:32516.7299516342/signupId:55090/rid:ac094775b1f8f6bd85bb8c4369544fb5

Got this as a forward? Sign up to receive our future emails:
http://e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:55090/acctId:32516/mailingId:208702601/rid:ac094775b1f8f6bd85bb8c4369544fb5

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma
http://www.myemma.com