The kind of support I thought/hoped that musl would provide has to do
with localtime() for applications that need to deal with, well, local
time.

Yes, that would be the userland way to do it, but even that is not so simple. To give you an example: when you have a right/ timezone, the glibc localtime() interprets the system clock as TAI-10, but the glibc gmtime() interprets it as UTC ! And it even makes sense, in a
certain way, but it's still ugly as hell.

The system time should be TAI10! Any other choice is a commitee
produced  abomination. Unless I misunderstood, what is the good reason
for not supporting it, other than being difficult or heavy?

 It's not standardized.
The standard is broken, I totally agree, and encourages bad practices; nevertheless it's the standard, and as a libc, musl cannot afford to break it. A part of the difficulty is finding a way to fit into the cracks in the standard, to do things without explicitly breaking it. That is why the glibc does what it does. Another part of the difficulty is doing things cleanly. musl is very adamant on cleanliness - that's why I like it - and will not implement extensions if they're not extremely well designed, and putting leap seconds into the timezone files is definitely bad design. I have full powers to submit patches to musl that are "correct", and I have a pretty good idea of what "correct" means for Rich and folks - it's close enough to my own use of the word.

And so far, I've found that the most "correct" way of handling the issue is kernel support.

--
 Laurent