On 07/01/2015 22:30, Paul Jarc wrote:
Ok.  And then in the other direction, use sysclock_from_tai() and
subtract TAI_MAGIC?

 Yes, exactly.

Without knowing the application's requirements, successfully hiding
the system clock means you would have to supply *all* the interfaces
that work with time values: *stat(), utimes(), localtime(), mktime(),
etc., not just time().  But it seems like it would be less work to
just supply the conversion functions, and let the application convert
from/to whatever data source it uses.

 Yes, it's true. So far I had only needed gettimeofday, settimeofday
and localtime, and hadn't thought of the stat family, that needs
system-clock timestamps, so I was happy with the current state. But
you're right and conversion functions are necessary.

I don't mind writing it myself.  Would you like a patch or git pull
request?

 Oh, I prefer having full control over the source :)
 I'll gladly take suggestions for the naming scheme, however: as you
may have noticed, I'm not very good at naming, and the tai_from_*
namespace is starting to get a bit crowded with two slightly
different meanings. So if you can come up with something consistent
and not exceedingly inconvenient, I'll take it.

I'm writing code that other people should be able to use, and I don't
want to put constraints on how they configure skalibs.  I just want to
use the tai functions, including tain_now(), in a way that will work
for any self-consistent set of skalibs configuration options that
someone else may have set.  Do I need tain_init() for that?  If not,
then it sounds like it may not need to be part of the documented API.

 tain_init() doesn't hurt at all. It's just not needed.
I should probably remove it.

--
 Laurent