While we're at it, may I ask about s6's versioning scheme? I noticed
there was an ABI change in skalibs (env_mergen becoming a macro), but
the Gentoo package for skalibs is currently set up to only trigger
rebuilds of dependant packages if the second number changes (e.g. from
2.14.x to 2.15.x).

 There was no change in s6's API or ABI, so only the last number
(release) will change.

For skalibs, the real answer is that I'm not as cautious as I should be.
I don't want to update the major version unless it's very necessary, and
the changes so far have only been additions and bugfixes; but you're
right that if the ABI changes, the major should change as well. To
avoid that, I'll change env_mergen back to a symbol until there's
another, more compelling reason to break compatibility (at which point
it's a major upgrade anyway and I can make env_mergen a macro again).

 Thanks for keeping watch, it's a good feeling when someone notices it
when I do something wrong. :)

--
 Laurent