> On 28 Feb 2018, at 17:49, Glenn Hollingsworth <wghwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've been searching for awhile and
> haven't found anything specific.
>
> I'm trying to copy a Skim-annotated PDF from my 15" MacBook running El
> Capitan to my 12" MacBook running High Sierra. The PDF is read-only with
> AES-128 encryption (I have no idea what this means, but figure it might be
> useful). After trying to transfer via wifi or USB, when I open the PDF on the
> 12" MacBook, the Notes pane shows up populated with the notes as would be
> expected, however 1) the page numbers are missing and 2) none of the
> annotations actually show up in the document itself.
>
> Is this due to the fact the PDF is read-only? If so, is there a workaround?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Glenn

It may be caused by the encryption. You do need a password to open the file? Of
course this should not happen, though it will be hard to avoid. I’ll have to
look into it.

As a workaround, if this is the problem, I can imagine two solutions.

1. Make sure you check to automatically save passwords in the General prefs,
and make sure you save the password for the file (when you open the file). If
you then re-open the file, the problem should not occur anymore. If at some
point you have saved the file  after it was opened in the wrong state, you may
have to replace the saved file with the original with the correct notes.

2. save the file and a separate .skim file for the notes (export as Skim notes)
on the system where things work. You can then read in the notes from the .skim
file after you have entered your password.

Christiaan