> On 26 Jun 2019, at 21:07, Peter Olin <peter.o...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all, I'm becoming a frequent user and fan of Skim, thanks for a great
> piece of software. I'm learning more and more productive ways of utilizing
> the note taking capabilities.
>
> When exporting the Notes I stumbled upon this anomaly, that I'm not sure if
> it is by design, or merely an oversight, or if I have failed to find the
> right way to do it.
>
> (See screenshot for the references to point 1 and 2)
> When exporting the notes where the notes have been edited, I cannot make the
> (originally) highlighted text appear in the exported notes. The default
> templates don't include it, and I cant find any documentation at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/wiki/Templates/#note
> <https://sourceforge.net/p/skim-app/wiki/Templates/#note> that shows how to
> get the uneditable/unedited text of the Highlight in point 1 to appear in the
> exported note file.
>
> In point 2, it works just fine, since the two text entries are identical.
>
> One would assume that all the data is availble i the Skim note file - so that
> it should be possible to have both of them available as Template Value Keys.
>
> To add a value like "(original)Higlight" to the set of available Template
> Value Keys would be a great solution from the user's perspective.
>
> See attached screenshot and exported file (using the original RTF template).
>
> <image.png>
>
> —
> Kind regards,
> Peter Olin
> <Skim Highlight export issue.rtf>

We don’t include it in the default template. By default the note text os the
same as the highlighted text, so this would just be a duplicate.

As for using it in a custom template, this is returned <$textString/>, which is
defined for anchored and markup notes. It is plain text.

Alternatively, you can use <$selection.cleanedString/>, <$selection.string/>,
or <$selection.attributedString/>, which are defined only for markup notes.

Christiaan