> On 30 Sep 2022, at 19:25, Thomas Schneider via Skim-app-users
> <skim-app-users@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> Dear Skim Experts:
>
> Maybe someone can help me with a Skim popup problem.
>
> The computers toot (iMac) and lap (MacBook Pro) are:
> macOS Monterey Version 12.6 (up to date)
> Skim 1.6.12 (up to date)
>
> On toot there is no problem.  The issue only happens on lap, but I
> don't know why.
>
> On lap in the trash directory (~/.Trash) I have a pdf file named a.aw.
> (The actual name has a date-time stamp and the file is coming from
> another computer but the example below can be done by hand so that is
> not relevant.)
>
> cp a.aw a.pdf
> open a.pdf
> (Skim opens the file.)
> cp a.aw a.pdf
>
> Skim OBJECTS with a pop up message:
>
>     The file "a.pdf" couldn't be opened because you don't have
>     permission to view it.
>
>     To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and
>     choose File > Get Info.
>
>     OK
>
> I must click OK.
>
> I have full read-write permissions for the files (chmod u+rw *)!  This
> even happens when I give everybody permission (chmod a+rw *)!
>
> I have been doing this kind of move in the Trash for YEARS.
> Suddenly it fails on one computer but not on the other.
>
> Normally Skim would update the PDF since I have the Preferences for
> Sync to be 'Check for file changes' and 'Reload automatically'.  This
> scheme allows me to create a PDF on one computer, transfer it to my
> laptop and display the new version.
>
> The problem is apparently not related to the attributes marked by '@'
> in the long ls listing.  The attributes can be removed using the
> command "xattr -c *" and this does not prevent the popup.
>
> This does not happen if I work in /tmp or another directory,
> only in ~/.Trash
>
> Does anyone have a clue what's going on?
>
> Tom

I actually have no idea. But it has almost certainly got something to do with
how the system treats the trash. I am actually suprised you are able to do what
you can top, as for me that does not work. Most file operations (like cp) just
fail with “operation not permitted”  in .Trash. Also the alert message you get
is coming from the system, so it is just a system objection.

Christiaan