*INCOME TAX REPORTS (ITR) HIGHLIGHTS*

*ISSUE DATED 3-5-2010** *

*Volume 323 : Part 1***

* *

*SUPREME COURT JUDGMENTS** ***

>> Writing of bad debts : Whether to close individual account of each debtor
in accounts : *Vijaya Bank v. CIT p. 166*

*HIGH COURT JUDGMENTS** ***

>> Interest on deposits of Non-SLR funds entitled to deduction u/s
80P(2)(a)(i) : *CIT v. H. P. State Co-operative Bank Ltd. (HP) p. 1*

>> Where assessee not maintaining books of account reassessment after four
years not barred by limitation : *CIT v. Mangalam Publications (Ker) p. 6*

>> Tribunal finding no capital asset created out of new project expenses :
Finding of fact : *CIT v. Escorts Auto Components Ltd. (P&H) p. 11*

>> Assessee entitled to depreciation and investment allowance where closure
for reasons beyond control of assessee : *CIT v. Blend Well Bottles P. Ltd.
(Karn) p. 18*

>> Addition as undisclosed income justified where no proper explanation
regarding amount : *Sudhakar T. Pendse v. ITO (Bom) p. 22*

>> Whether income from letting out of kalyana mandapam on licence is
business or property income : Matter remanded : *Director of Income-tax
(Exemptions) v. AVM Charities (Mad) p. 27*

>> Another application for rectification not maintainable where dismissal of
application on merits : *CIT v. Panchu Arunachalam (Mad) p. 31*

>> Reassessment after four years not barred by limitation where firm
furnishing balance-sheet to bank disclosing massive credit balances in
accounts of partners but not maintaining accounts : *CIT v. Biju Varghese
(Ker) p. 36*

>> Agreement between assessee and firm for sale of whole property and
subsequent act of assessee in executing power of attorney and sale deeds
executed by power holder would not alter status of parties to agreement for
applicability of doctrine of part performance : *Smt. D. Kasturi v. CIT
(Mad) p. 40*

>> No scope for VDIS 1997 beyond period mentioned under Scheme : *Tiruvengadam
Investments P. Ltd. v. CIT (Mad) p. 44*

>> Block assessment proceedings not valid where Tribunal finding procedure
laid down by CPC for service by affixture not followed : *CIT v. Naveen
Chander (P&H) p. 49*

>> Tribunal allowing pre-commencement expenses as revenue expenditure : No
interference in view of low tax effect : *CIT v. Info Vergix Technologies
Ltd. (Delhi) p. 52*

>> Reassessment proceedings within four years to disallow claim not valid :
*Rallis India Ltd. v. Asst. CIT (Bom) p. 54*

>> Depreciation not allowable on stock exchange membership card acquired by
an assessee on or after April 1, 1998 : *CIT v. Techno Shares and Stocks
Ltd. (Bom) p. 69*

>> Rejection of exemption u/s 10(23C)(vi) not valid where assessee-society
not for educational purposes : *Scientific Educational Advancement Society
v. UOI (P&H) p. 84*

>> Increase in liability to repay loan taken for purchase of machinery or
plant must be taken into account for purpose of depreciation and investment
allowance : *Century Enka Ltd. v. Asst. CIT (Cal) p. 86*

>> Interest paid by bank to NRIs on deposits in Indian currency exempt u/s
10(15)(iv)(fa) : Not subject to TDS : *CIT v. Manager, SBI (Raj) p. 93*

>> Intercorporate dividends : Reassessment on ground of failure to pay tax
u/s 115-O not permissible : *Godrej Agrovet Ltd. v. Deputy CIT (Bom) p. 97*

>> Amount deposited under CDS includible in net wealth : *Smt. Smitaben N.
Ambani v. CWT (Bom) p. 104*

>> Tribunal disallowing assessee's claim without referring to that order or
decision of High Court confirming it : No mistake apparent from record
: *Visvas
Promoters P. Ltd. v. ITAT (Mad) p. 114*

>> Mobilisation and demobilisation costs reimbursed to non-resident not
taxable in India : *Van Oord ACZ India (P.) Ltd. v. CIT (Delhi) p. 130*

>> Disallowance of deduction of bad debts on basis of debit of provision to
profit and loss account and not written of in books of account : Remand to
reconsider matter on basis of facts stated and material furnished by
assessee : Proper : *CIT v. Wipro Infotech Ltd. (Karn) p. 151*

>> Deduction u/s 80-O cannot be granted where failure to furnish details of
expenses incurred for earning gross income : *CIT v. Wipro Infotech Ltd.
(Karn) p. 151*

>> Mere debit entries in profit and loss account and credit entries in bad
debt reserve account not sufficient to write off debts : *CIT v. Vijaya Bank
(Karn) p. 163*

Assessee entitled to deduction where designs prepared by assessee used
outside India and received convertible foreign in India : *CIT v. Charles M.
Correa (Bom) p. 174*

*AUTHORITY FOR ADVANCE RULINGS** ***

>> Department not entitled to raise objection as to maintainability when
matter posted for hearing on merits : *Umicore Finance, In re p. 25*

*JOURNAL** ***

>> Search and seizure provisions--Issues settled and unsettled (*T. N.
Pandey, Retd. Chairman, CBDT*) *p. 1*

*NEWS-BRIEF** ***

*>> Parliament panel wants attention drawn to corporate tax sops*

A key parliamentary panel has said that the exemptions and deductions
provided under the current tax laws were loaded in favour of corporates and
big taxpayers, have outlived their purpose and it would be just and equitous
to put in place a policy on exemptions.

India's direct tax regime provides a large number of exemptions and
deductions because of which the incidence of tax on corporates is lot lower
than the nominal rate of 30.9%, including the education cess.

The direct taxes code, a draft of which is being debated in the Government,
has proposed a flat 25% tax on corporates but suggested removing all
profit-based exemptions. The code is expected to be adopted from the next
fiscal. The code has also suggested the same regime for special economic
zones. The Commerce Ministry has been arguing that the current regime for
SEZs continue.

The committee has asked the Government to set up a study group to review the
desirability of tax and duty exemptions to SEZs to bring out the costs of
tax exemptions vis-a-vis' the benefits.

The panel made it clear that the policy on exemptions should not just reduce
the percentage of tax foregone but at the same time encourage household
savings, foster social security and generally favour small taxpayers.

In fact, if the aggregate exemptions in both direct and indirect taxes is
taken into account, it works out to a massive Rs. 5,02,299 crore in 2009-10
which is almost 80 per cent. of the total revenue collections. *[Source :
www.economictimes.com dated April 22, 2010]*

*>> ITDMS gets award for excellence in governance and administration*

The Integrated Tax Payer Data Management System (ITDMS) developed by the
Income-tax Department was conferred the Prime Minister's Award for
excellence in governance and administration at Vigyan Bhawan on the Civil
Service Day on April 21, 2010. The software converts information in various
databases into actionable intelligence. The project was initially launched
as pilot for one year to customize name search engine, and later ITDMS was
developed into an Enterprise Level Solution.

The I-T team under the leadership of the then Director General of Income Tax
(Investigation) developed this indigenous software solution to create a
comprehensive database of all financial affairs of individuals and groups.
The Directorates of I-T Investigation are using the information developed
through ITDMS for developing intelligence and investigation purposes. The
software solution helps collating transactions of any entity or group of
inter-related entities for investigation in a non-intrusive manner.

The Award was received by a team consisting of investigating officers. *[Source
: www.pib.nic.in dated April 21, 2010]*

*>> CAG pulls up Income-tax Department for deficiency in tax base*

Official auditor CAG pulled up the Income-tax Department in a report tabled
in Parliament for not being able to retain the existing tax base in 2008-09,
particularly among corporate taxpayers.

The decline was at variance from the accepted notion that simple tax laws
and lower tax rates promote better tax compliance, CAG said.

"It is a matter of concern that the Department which is otherwise aiming
towards widening the tax base had not managed to retain the existing tax
base. Evidently, the Department is not utilising the mechanisms available to
widen the tax base," it said.

The report also pointed out that of the 7.5 lakh companies registered with
the Registrar of Companies as on March 31, 2009, only 3.3 lakh are recorded
with the Income-tax department as corporate assessees, leaving a filing gap
of 4.2 lakh companies.

"The Board would be advised to reconcile the discrepancy for accurate
assessment of filing gap," CAG said. *[Source : www.economictimes.com dated
April 23, 2010]*

*>> Complexity of tax evasion cases by IPL entities*

The Income-tax Department has said it will take four months to build up a
clear case of tax evasion by IPL entities. While the department came across
the first case of evidence of unaccounted cash after six days of operations
at various locations across the country, top sleuths said it is preliminary
to fix responsibility for the evasion yet.

It has communicated these observations to the Finance Ministry. Based on the
scale of the operations, the final additional tax liability from all
entities will be about Rs. 100 crore. But the Department has not been
mandated to look at any corruption angle and will only uncover the tax
aspects. It is therefore not planning on any arrests to launch prosecution
cases. The set of information which has been sent to the Finance Ministry
including on the very first day therefore includes only the details of the
searches including the number of premises visited and the nature of the
evidence collected, which are still known as telex messages.

It has meanwhile run up against a major hurdle. India does not have tax
agreements with any of the tax havens which might have been used as conduits
to finance some of the IPL entities, and so will have to open channels of
negotiations with all of them to get details of money laundering. The
information will be vitally necessary to get a sense of whether tax was
evaded by any of the entities involved in the IPL.

In the survey operations the Income-tax Department has finally uncovered
evidence of unaccounted cash. Department officials tracked e-mails and other
records at the searches conducted at the offices of World Sports Group and a
Multi Screen Media about a possible payment made to IPL to reach an out of
court settlement around the telecast rights for the IPL matches.

Because of the scale of the operations, the survey operations is being
coordinated by the newly set up Director General (intelligence) in the
Department from New Delhi. The first set of operations had been worked out
by DG (investigations) Mumbai. *[Source : www.financialexpress.com dated
April 22, 2010]*

*>> Demand for tax holidays for power sector, port trusts not allowed*

The Government rejected the demands for tax exemption on setting up power
plants, State maritime boards and port trusts, saying it was inconsistent in
a moderate tax regime.

To a different query regarding tax holidays for setting up power plants, he
said the power sector, particularly the private sector, has significantly
matured, benefiting from direct tax holidays for almost two decades and
there was no need for any extension.

The Minister added that tax incentives like exemptions and deductions are
economically inefficient, inequitable, lead to revenue loss, breed
rent-seeking behaviour, increase compliance costs and enhance the
administrative burden.

However, in the power sector, as far as indirect taxes are concerned, all
items of machinery and equipments required for initial setting up mega power
projects are fully exempt from duties and customs.

All such goods domestically procured for initial setting up of mega power
plants awarded on an international competitive bidding basis or tariff-based
bidding are also fully exempt from payment of central excise duties without
any specific time limits. *[Source : www.economictimes.com dated April 23,
2010]*

--
Me on net :

http://rajkumaratthenet.blogspot.com/
http://itronline.blogspot.com/

Virus Warning: Although the I have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no
viruses are present in his email, sender (I) cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment."