The income tax department has launched a drive to file corrected returns
with a view to do away with the problem of held-up refunds and the tax
already paid not being credited to the assessees’ name. A large number of
people whose tax is deducted at source did not get the payments credited
which, in turn, held up refunds. It was because the National Securities and
Depositories Limited (NSDL), which accounts the tax receipts, could not
record the payments as I-T returns of many did not carry the permanent
account number (PAN). In some cases, the returns were not filed at all, said
a statement issued by the income tax department.

The drive, which will continue till July, will enable the tax payers to file
returns and also update those already filed with corrected PAN. The
department has asked the assessees to utlilise the online facility to
confirm whether the amount is credited to their name or not by logging on to
www.tinnsdl.com and seeing the statement of PAN holder in form number 26AS.
In Nagpur, tax worth Rs 126.4 crore has been paid but not accounted for.
Returns have not been filed in 1,488 cases at all which PAN was not quoted
in 4,638 returns.

--
Me on net :

http://rajkumaratthenet.blogspot.com/
http://itronline.blogspot.com/

Virus Warning: Although the I have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no
viruses are present in his email, sender (I) cannot accept responsibility
for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment."