Hi Robert,

I love that story; saved it in my Documents folder! :D

When one of my female friends refers to me or another male friend, they
usually use "Kumpel" (buddy) as workaround term for this problem.
Another possibility is:
"Das ist ein Freund von mir" (that's a friend of mine)
The "ein" (a / one) in this example sentence implies that it won't be a
boyfriend (because that usually wouldn't be one of many other boyfriends).

For female friends, I have no equivalent to "Kumpel" which I could use
as replacement. Instead, I either try to use the female version of the
example sentence above:
"Das ist eine Freundin von mir" (that's a [female] friend of mine)
...or, if that is applicable, I use "gute Freundin" (good [female]
friend), which also implies that I'm not referring to a girlfriend. :)

Best regards,
Tobias Frei