I personally would like to see such a browse by category option on SBo.

Someone recently posted a similar link to the FreeBSD equivalent which was an excellent format.

If a visitor really doesn't know what they are looking for this would provide the most useful navigational organization in my opinion. I find tag groupings can seem somewhat arbitrary, whereas with categories you can know "where you are" in a hierarchy, even if you don't know the whole landscape. This allows you to build a mental map and learn to navigate that landscape whereas tags can seem more transitory.

So +1 for navigable categories with list format and short descriptions.

Robert