On Sat, 5 Aug 2017, Eric Pratt wrote:

But on the download page, if you get that same page I'm seeing, don't
click on the source code link. Click on the GNU+Linux link instead.
Following a very unintuitive chain of links, ​you end up here:
https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/releases

Eric,

  Now I see how you reached that page. When I clicked on the GNU+Linux link
I saw only two links: 'Donate' and 'Subscribe/Confirm and Download.' The
latter took me to a page with a 'continue this way link' and then to a page
with 'Ubuntu,' 'Compiling from Github,' and 'Installing from an rpm.' I did
not follow that last link because I wanted a tarball, not an rpm.

  However, under the rpm files are the source file.

Thanks for taking it one step further than I did.

Rich