> > Hi Dionysis,
> >
> > Many thanks for that: I sent a pull request with the minumum necessary
> > changes.
> > On a freshly installed 15.0 system, python is python3, so your SB only
> > makes the
> > 3.9 packages. You might want to change `python` to `python2`, but I leave
> > that
> > up to you.
>
> No, /usr/bin/python points to python2.7: [...]
> Looks like existing practice on SBo is split between "python setup.py" and
> python2 setup.py", with the majority being "python setup.py":
>
> $ git grep "python setup.py" | wc -l
> 662
> $ git grep "python2 setup.py" | wc -l
> 298
> $ git grep "python3 setup.py" | wc -l
> 671
>

> Erich

Looking at install scripts for slackware's python2 and python3, the symbolic
link /usr/bin/python is for python2, whatever package you install first. And
even if python2 is uninstalled, you won't have a /usr/bin/python executable.

So python is python2, and python3 is always explicit.

However, more and more slackbuilds are explicit for python2 also, which is a
good thing, and should be the rule, at least whenever any given python2 package
is updated for another good reason.

        - Yth.