On Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 10:00 (+0700), Willy Sudiarto Raharjo wrote:

>> Currently fonts are put under category system, they mix with other
>> system tools. Would it be better to have a separate category (fonts)
>> for them?

> This is my personal opinion and do not express other admin's opinion

> i think having more categories doesn't really give benefits to this project
> besides cosmetic values.

Willy, speaking as someone who does *not* know all the offerings inside
out, I found the list of items suggested for "slackware tools" (or whatever
it would hypothetically be called) useful.

> It just adds more work moving scripts around during development cycle,
> adding new categories in the database, web forms, etc.

> Since we have search form in our website, i wonder how many people would go
> through each categories when looking for some scripts instead of just using
> the search form?

I would.  I'm not sure what search term would list all the
slackware-specific packages.  (Maybe everyone else knows how to do that,
but I don't.)

> During development cycle (which usually started when Pat declared Alpha or
> Beta version of Slackware-Current), admins will be busy verifying each
> scripts in the repo to make sure it builds fine against slackware-current,
> which will be a moving target since Pat usually have a long period of
> testing before he declares stable release.

> Some of these scripts have been checked and fixed by Ponce so it gives a
> headstart for us, but we have over 9k scripts (per December 2023) and it's
> growing each week. There are tons of work to make sure the new repo is ready
> when next Slackware is released and we are targeting for same-day release
> (if it's possible).

I realize that the SBo volunteers do a lot of work for the Slackware
community, and I would not want to unduly add to the workload.  Having said
that, would the work load be acceptable if
(a) you created the categories (fonts and Slackware-specific), and
(b) whenever a maintainer puts in a new version, it goes into the new
    category.

Cheers.
                                Jim