Well, I should restate that. I do need roles. I was actually hoping to use SlideRealm, because I want other parts of the webapp to use Slide roles for access control.

The only reason I need LDAP is because usernames/passwords must all come from LDAP in the environments we are targeting. Once the user is created in Slide, I want SlideRealm to handle everything.

The question is... how do you use an LDAP Realm for authentication, but a SlideRealm for authorization. I think I would need the SlideRealm to pull it's users from an LDAP store. Does any of this sound correct?

--Ryan

From: Martin Holz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: patch for auto-create-users
Date: 27 Apr 2004 17:32:51 +0200

"Ryan Rhodes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I went through the same progression as Jamie with auto-create-users.
> It would have been nice to have when I started, but it doesn't add
> anything now since I ultimately need the LDAP sync'd setup as well.
>
> Could you give an idea of just how much effort is involved in creating
> an LDAP store?  I don't know if it makes it any easier, but I only
> need LDAP for usernames and passwords.  I don't really even care if
> roles are stored in LDAP.

If you don't need groups, why do you need a sync with the LDAP-Server?
This is a scenario where autocreate-users is really helpfull. Configure
your servlet container to use LDAP authentication. If you delete a user,
in LDAP the servlet container does not longer allow login (assuming the
container does not cache to much). So nobody cares about a user node
in slide which belongs to user which not longer exists in LDAP. Btw. deleting
this user node might be problematic, if the user still owns files.

Martin