Jamie Honan wrote:
>
> Several people have mentioned home network server systems.
>
> Some quotes:
>
> >> workstation? I may have family living with me for a while and I'm
> >> thinking of adding a couple of 486 boxes for children to play with
>
> >I've just set something similar up at my house (and am only now coming to
> >terms with the amazement of being successful at doing so). If you need a
>
> >I now have
> >telephony and computer throughout. One permanent modem
> >connected server (RH), one RH workstation (well, server..
>
> Having experienced and seen this in a few places I really
> believe this is 'the way of the future'.
>
> Those who came to the video fest might remember the last speaker
> (whose name, as usual, escapes me) who "predicted" that there
> was likely to be a server box as interface to the ISP, with
> all kinds of devices attached as clients. He contrasted this
> to the 'PC centric' view.
This was Bob Smart (cced on this). The main point of his talk was
as a warning that there were moves afoot (by Microsoft and the
super-huge ISPs) that might section off this part of the network
by either proprietary protocols or by the first implementations of
non-proprietary protocols (don't forget, Bob was talking about the
server as an interface to all services including high quality video
etc (and serving set-top boxes, etc) and made the point that
Microsoft's plans on this are actually probably the best published
ones at the moment. Bob was hoping to get a project going to do a
Linux gateway of this type with full media services, etc.
Bob, correct me if I'm wrong on this.
>
> This is such a natural to me. It's a pity that the 'micro-linux'
> distributions are not as polished as the ones targetted at the
> latest-greatest hardware.
>
I imagine a distribution specifically targetted at this setup.
> Part A is your server (tftpd, masq, dhcpd, pppd-demand), part
> B client (diskless, thin X, umsdos, and small disk/memory).
>
> Jamie
>
> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
> unsubscribe in the text
>
Bill
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences http://www.cmis.csiro.au/
Bldg E6B Macquarie University tel: +61 2 9325 3155
Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia fax: +61 2 9325 3200
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text