Spirovski Bozhidar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Hi, I have just downloaded the new Open Linux ISO image, and installed
> it.
> I cannot seem to start the KDE:
> I get a login prompt (which is very pretty), i type user and password,
> but instaed of KDE all I get is a blue screen and a LOT of hard disk
> activity, which eats up all of the resources, so i have to make a hard
> reboot. Even if I don't log in, I still get a lot of hard disk activity.
> If I disable KDM startup, and work in terminal mode, all is well
> (apparently). The Open Linux replaced my faithful Debian.
>
> My box is a 486 DX/4 100 with 16 megs RAM. I have installed the minimal
> configuration on a 190 MB partition and have a 32 MB swap.
that's not much memory or swap for kde!
I've run kde on a P166 with 16Mb RAM (and I think 128Mb swap) and it
worked but starting it was very slow. It's possible your machine just
doesn't have enough memory.
Try and test if adding more RAM or swap (either another partition
or just a swap file) fixes it. KDE seems to need a fair whack of
memory, if you don't want to add more RAM and haven't enough disk
space for a large swap partition, then maybe kde isn't for you.
Dave.
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text