At 08:27 AM 3/23/00 +1100, you wrote:
>Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
>Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
>Chain output (policy ACCEPT):

default policy accept and no rules means anything can get through.


>Now if I am reading all this correctly, ports above 10000 (?) are 
>automatically
>blocked. I am using Mandrake 6.1.

Where did you pull that figure from?  anything can get in or out, given the 
above ruleset.


>I can't work out the syntax for creating the ipchain or whether I need to 
>do it
>for input, output or forward? Or whether i should do it for all ports or 
>just ppp?

ipchains -A output -s localnetwork/mask -d 203.102.141.190/32 4545 -j ACCEPT

if you are using a dialup with dynamic ip, substitute 0.0.0.0/0 for 
localnetwork/mask
this would only create the outgoing rule.  you could stick a -b in there to 
make it work both ways.  Since you are already accepting anything outgoing 
and incoming you don't need any further rules.



>Any help appreciated.
>
>--
>Simon Bryan                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Information Technology Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>OLMC Parramatta
>--
>SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
>To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
>unsubscribe in the text


Alexander Else
http://cyberchrist.org

--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to