OK, summary time:
We are running Mandrake 6.1 as our internet gateway on a Pentium II with
64Mb RAM. According to the FAQ etc, with my kernel I should be using
ipchains, but was trying to cover all bases.
The Board of Studies now requires that we upload student data directly to
their website and the data is formatted by an Access database that we
download. The database attempts to connect to their site on port 4545. The=
y
have advised that the error I am getting indicates that I have a firewall =
with
port 4545 blocked and that I need to open it for output.
I knew nothing of ipchains and so am on a learning curve.
Ipchains -L tells me that there are no 'rules' and all policies are set to=
ACCEPT, hence to my confused mind no firewall.
I can access their system by dialling through my own account (same ISP)
so wil give up on this I think, until I have more carefully thought and re=
ad all
this info.
Thanks for the help everyone, at least I now know more about this system.
> ipchains and ipfwadm are 2 very different programs. Commands are followi=
ng
> similar logic, but they are not interchangable and no you cannot use one
> with the other. It's either or.
>
> I think the type of kernel governs if you use ipwadm (RH5.0 - 5.2) or
> ipchains (RH6.0 and on). I do not know about the other distributions.
>
> How about you tell me what the problem is. All you have so far written
> makes no sense to me. What do you actually want to do? What is the the j=
ob
> of the machine you are working? What distro and version?
>
> Let's start with this.
>
> Regards
> Bernhard
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Simon Bryan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Friday, 24 March 2000 15:53
> To: Bernhard L=FCder
> Subject: RE: [SLUG] ipchains aipfwadm
>
>
> This is the output, so this is confirming once again that I am not
> blocking anything? BTW I have ipfwadm-wrapper rather than ipfwadm. I
> gather that I should be using ipchains anyway. Do both these commands wo=
rk
> on the same set of chains?
>
> Chains are empty. (ie. ipfwadm has not been used on them).
>
> >
> >
> > >Hi,
> > Still struggling with working out what is going on here. While reading
> > about ipfwadm (an older way to setup chains??) I opened
> > /proc/net/ipfw_names and /proc/net/ipfw_chains to see if they containe=
d
> > anything - they don't they are 0 byte files as are all the others in
> > /proc/net. However while I have them open my editor tells me every few
> > seconds that another app has modified them, the date and time stamps a=
re
> > not changing. Any ideas as to what is going on?
> >
> > >
> >
> > Try checking what is going on with this commands
> >
> > /sbin/ipfwadm -M -l -n | more
> > /sbin/ipfwadm -F -l -n | more
> > /sbin/ipfwadm -O -l -n | more
> > /sbin/ipfwadm -I -l -n | more
> >
> > They do the following:
> >
> > List MASQ entries
> > List FORWARD entries
> > List OUTPUT entries
> > List INPUT entries
> >
> > And then you might find your problem. You may also list see output fro=
m
> > those and we can help you deciver them.
> >
> > Regards
> > Bernhard
>
>
>
> --
> Simon Bryan [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Information Technology Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> OLMC Parramatta
--
Simon Bryan [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Information Technology Manager [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OLMC Parramatta
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text