On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Steven Kerr wrote:

> I just need a pointer with IP Masq/IP Chains as I am confused
> regarding when these tools would be used.

For 2.2.x kernels, you would normally use ipchains.

See the ipchains howto at:
http://www.linux.org.au/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

specifically section 3.1 which has a simple example of masquerading.

Also have a look at the ipmasq howto:
http://members.home.net/ipmasq/

For security reasons, do not use an unpatched kernel version less than
2.2.12 for masquerading, and it would probably be a very good idea to
upgrade to 2.2.15 when it is released.

> 
> Am I correct in saying that:
> 
> IP Masquarading allows hosts to project themselves onto another
> network (private or public) with a different IP address.

Yes.  Masquerading is a form of NAT (network address translation) where
the public gateway maps internal addresses to it's own external address 
and manipulates ports to keep track of things.


- James
--
James Morris
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>






--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text

Reply via email to