I am not exactly sure what i568 and i686 means but I would take it to mean
the Intel generations ... In which case:
i586 => Pentium, Pentium MMX
i686 => Pentium Pro/II/III
To the best of my knowledge the last instruction set update occured between
i486 and Pentium. It should thus be safe to run i686 binaries on a i586.
There are some differences in optimization but those are very unlikely to
concern you, unless you're running CPU bound stuff.
Just my 2.2c,
Dave.
--
David Zverina
Alt Key Pty. Ltd.
http://www.altkey.com
PO Box 3121, Parramatta, 2124, Australia
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jason Rennie
> Sent: Friday, 14 April 2000 16:04
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [SLUG] Processor Questions ?
>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have a decision to make between 2 options i have for processors.
>
> The choice is this.
>
> Currently my desktop has a Cyrix M II 233 Mhz Processor, which linux
> recoginises as a i686 processor.
>
> I have the option to swap that for a AMD K6 400Mhz processor (from another
> linux box) that comes up as an i586.
>
> The real decision comes down to this, the machine currently has a pile of
> apps compiled for an i686 processor (including the kernel), if i swap the
> processor on the machine, will the apps still run ? Will the kernel still
> boot ? I can recompile the kernel for i586 next time i do it, but will it
> be aproblem for the time being ?
>
> Jason
>
>
>
> --
> SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
> To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
> unsubscribe in the text
>
--
SLUG - Sydney Linux Users Group Mailing List - http://www.slug.org.au
To unsubscribe send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
unsubscribe in the text