Mike Brooks wrote:

> Hi, We're installing some SBCs with a stripped Linux installation to
> operate as a realtime monitor. This is interfacedinto an embedded
> system mounted on some industrial machinery. What can be done to avoid
> the login? I'vescratched through some FAQs but they seem to focus on
> the runlevel which doesn't appear to do what I want. Basically, I just
> want to load X and run the application.

If all you want to do is start x and load an application (and you don't
care if the other 6 screens are still available (ALT-CTL-<F1-F6>) then
just have inittab (/etc/inittab) start up X (or gdm or xdm).  If you
want to remove the other 6 tty's get rid of the mingetty cmds in
/etc/inittab.  I've never done this and I reckon unless you have a very
good reason to do otherwise, you should leave at least one console tty
for 'emergency-access'.  If anything does go wrong with X, you have no
way into your system.

Regards,

Andrew Eager