On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 08:38:12PM +1000, Jon Biddell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

[snip]

> Heard today that in about 6 weeks, after I return from leave, Microsoft or
> their paid minions are comming in to do a software audit. Or, rather, a
> licencing audit.

Who are you working for?
I didnt expect that "Big Brother is watching you" (not the telly series!!!!)
is already here ....

> They will expect me or my colleague to allow them access to the server room
> and to have access to all machines - no bloody way. They will not touch !!!
> And I refuse to remove the boot-up password on my PC !!

You should talk to a lawyer and find out whether they are allowed to
do that (for now, they'll change their licensing scheme the next time
around if too many people refuse ..)

> What I plan to do is to have my Linux posters up, my "Windows Free Zone"
> crime-scene tape on the workstation, and the work PC booting off a SuSE Live
> CD (so I don't have to screw up even more an already knackered and feeble
> Windows 2000 workstation).

It will make them feel better cause they know that you are afraid.

jhs

--
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgmmng. [Anon]

|            __, Jobst Schmalenbach, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Technical Director|
|  _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L      |
|-(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia|