Phillipus Gunawan wrote:

> I'm really sorry because was late to read these email(s)
>

> Without harming everyone else, yes, most of the time, for us -newbies-
> is a bit difficult to find a good doc, even sometime can't think the
> proper question to post it here (I did it a few times...)
>

> I was trying to set up samba with NIS and create local user in the box
> as the authentication to the window$ (for a start before I really have
> to deal with pam)
>

> This is how I create the user:
>

> [1] useradd -g 100 -d /dev/null -c mywidow -m -s /bin/false widowbox
>

> [2] smbpasswd -a -m widowbox
>

> On the widow machine, I try to join the domain, It give me an error
> saying that no user name or bad password.
>
> Anyone have a -bit- clue?

Do you have a trust account setup on your linux box ?  Win-nt needs this
for it to do any kind of remote (network) authentication.  In your
passwd file you will need the following: (note the '$' sign after the
name of the host.

       NODE2$:*:1000:900:Trust Account:/dev/null:/dev/null

You will also need to use the -m option (as you did above) with
smbpasswd when importing the trust account.

You probably allready know, but the smb-howto has some info on this.

Regards,

Andrew E.