Hi

I want to just share a few incidents which involve the 2.4 kernel and
comparasions to 2.2.x

Firstly I recently upgraded my machine and it was either go to 2.4 or use
2.2 with ide patches so I took the 2.4 plunge.

Secondly my firewall setup is much simplier thanks to netfilter :-) also
DNAT is very useful and beats that port forwarding hacks of 2.2! Basically
You can get realplayer to work without helpers from a internal machine.

Anyway I have these modules loaded into the kernel
* nvidia drivers
* win4lin stuff (only the last 3 days or so because there is now 2.4.9
  support)
* driver for a skymedia 200dtp card (sat dvb data)

The rest is compiled in and not binary only stuff.

anyway the problem tonight was that realplayer couldn't be killed off. I
suspect that the sound driver locked and wouldn't release realplayer and
thus any tools to kill realplayer wouldn't work at all. in fact cat
/proc/<pid of realplayer which was guessed>/cmdline would lock.

so I had numerous top's ps's etc... all locked and blocked.

Only resolution was to reboot and still the root filesystem had to be
fscked.

My 2nd and it's happened quite a few times is that the user schedulder
dies and the only resolution is just to cold reboot. THe funny thing is
that it still works as a router :-) But that's all in the kernel
schedulder.

My experience with 2.2 was that it's far more stable. But I don't think I
will go back.

Jeffrey