Luke McKee wrote:
> These 3rd party device vendors should just rack off. It should be free or
> not at all. It isn't right to have "Linux hardware taxes" to replace the
> Microsoft OEM tax when it eventually goes. Why do some vendors still need to
> guard the API to their hardware?
>
> Let me know what you all think.

I agree with you in principle that you shouldn't have to pay extra to
make something you've already bought work.

However, I also think that we should take it upon ourselves to do a
little research before buying hardware and make sure that the hardware
will work without having to fork out extra for commercial drivers.

>From what you've written at [1] and [2] below, it doesn't sound like you
had done any research at all before purchased your hardware.

[1]
> I bought my OSS license in 97 and told it would last forever (from the sales
> hype at the time). In 2000 they solicited more money just because I bought a
> newer crystal card than what I previously had.

[2]
> A few months ago I bought a
> Lexmark Z12 only to find out Mandrake has the drivers but I have to give
> them $150 for the boxed "commercial" version of their Linux distribution to
> get cups drivers.

The first one might be forgiveable, given that you thought you already
owned the commercial driver, but the second one is different. Visiting
http://www.linuxprinting.org shows that it has the Z12 listed as
'paperweight' (see
http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi?make=Lexmark for the
entire list of Lexmark printers and
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=486066 for the Z12
entry). One has to wonder why you would buy a printer with such a
recommendation.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm just telling it like I see it.

Matthew