On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 10:21:19PM +1000, Chris Barnes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> I have a Logitech Quickcam Web...i found linux drivers for it but the
> software isn't too fancy...it just opens an xwindow and displays the camera
> output, if you know how to alter the code you could have it send the output
> to a file instead...e.g. by using libjpg or something, have it dump to a jpg
> in your web server room folder and then all you would have to do is click
> the refresh button every few seconds.

Motion detection should not be difficult to do:

 * start loop
 * take a photo, save as bitmap (it must be bitmap)
 * wait a few seconds
 * take another photo save it with different name (as bitmap)
 * now for each row and each column in both pics subtract each pixel.
   if each pixel is the same in both pics the result must be zero.
   if a pixel is different, the result is NOT NULL.
   sum/count the pixels which have changed and divide by all pixels (x100).
 * if percentage reached, raise alarm

Now you have to make up for some wind/leaves etc so you must
find a certain percentage when the "motion detector" should go
off. You can test it with a paper attached to a string and
move it in the field of vision of the camera, raising the size of the
piece you are moving until you found the "go off" point.

jobst

--
My Carpenter has a 1956 VW Beetle. He still can go to any place in Australia, use any
Oil, spark plugs, pertol, tires, wiper blades, etc available today with a car that

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, [EMAIL PROTECTED], Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia