On Mon, 6 May 2002, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > Given that potato was 3 ISO's, and the woody beta I downloaded on the
> > weekend was 8, I'd say signifigantly more than 10-20% for bloat. :-)
>
> Note that there's absolutely no reason to download all of the CD's. Trying
> to distribute the entire Debian archive - even for a single architecture -
> on hard media is very close to pointless.
>
> You don't need it for installation; and after that, everything is available
> via your local mirror. I personally use a 180MB ISO for installs.

It'd be nice if Dabian _said_ that somewhere. Nowhere on the site does it
indicate you don't need all the disks.

Yes, it indicates you can do a minimal install from a small ISO, and get
the rest from the net - but it's a _big_ assumption that anyone who
installs Debian will have net access to get the rest of the packages every
single time they install.

> The available packages for Debian don't indicate bloat. They indicate a very
> large, distributed developer base and a lot of hard work.

My my, you _are_ defensive, aren't you Jeff?

Since I can remember a time when slackware and yggydrasil {and I can't
even _spell_ that anymore} fitted nicely on a single CD with room to
spare, any distribution which uses 8 disks {or 1 DVD} such as Woody, or
SuSE to name two, is bloated with a lot of stuff beyond the "core" OS.

I'm not, please note, saying this is a bad thing.

DaZZa