On Thu, 2002-07-25 at 13:34, Joseph Tandl wrote:
> I am "exploring" Linux and, because I am a complete greenhorn (with Linux and
>programming of any kind), I need to find documentation for all simple line commands
>that are needed to open, unzip, move, compile, save, etc, files in text mode.
>
> I am working with Red Hat 7.3, for which I had to download nVidia kernel, GLX and
>driver rpm, tar and gz type files in an attempt to get X windows to work. (The files
>are now in a partition shared between Win2000 and Linux on a PC that has an
>nForce420D chipset in its MSI K7N420Pro socket A motherboard. I have to get them into
>Linux and do with them whatever it takes to make them work.)
>
> Can you point me to website(s) or person(s) with such knowledge?

Hi Joseph,

Welcome to linux!

Most of the time, you can use man $command ('man gzip' for example) to
get details on how it works.

If you're interested in learning more, I'd recommend coming along to the
linux workshop on Aug 3rd (http://slug.org.au/events/detail.html?id=29)

Greeno
--
Tony Green <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>