On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, well wrote:
> If I use the default kernel of Slackware 8, the boot message shows
> "Free unused kernel memory: 116k freed"
>
> And if I disable some inneed kernel option(scsi, audio,....), the boot
> message shows
> "Free unused kernel memory: 66k freed"
>
> With less kernel option, shouldn't be more memory freed?

No. Because there's less overall.

When you compile a kernel, all the options take up space in the kernel,
and the image that gets loaded at boottime is bigger with more options.

Some of the space isn't needed after the machine has booted, though.
Stuff like hardware initialisation and kernel arg processing only happens
once, so the memory used by them is made available to other things.

Because you're compiling a kernel with less options, there is less wasted
space in the first place. That's why the number gets smaller. :)

-- Jessica Mayo.
(Everything with a Grin :)