"CPU Hog" is probably relative, and dependent on the application. An
embedded controller (I was brought up at BHP on PLCs,etc so I know what
these are) tend to usually only have low bandwidth requirements. So I
imagine that a simple protocol stack pumping say 100 packets per second
is not going to have any advantage one way or the other.

The higher end cards will probably use DMA and/or interrupt driven
drivers, maybe bigger buffers, builtin handlers for filtering out
unwanted protocols/multicasts addresses, 802.11q/p (VLAN) support, etc.
When you are pumping near 100Mbps (or even 1Gbps) then any hardware that
can assist the CPU in streaming this data is going to be an advantage.

I remember back in the early 90's paying $2000 for a ethernet card that
could process a whole bit of the OSI network and transport layers for a
PLC gateway. (We also paid $20K for a VME bus Token Bus (yes IEEE 802.4)
NIC for SGI workstations to run OSI/MAP code on.). We also had some GEC
computers that we could provide ethernet on , if you were willing to pay
$100K+ for the NIC!!!!

Martin Visser
Network Consultant
Technology & Infrastructure - Consulting & Integration
COMPAQ, part of the new HP

3 Richardson Place
North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113, Australia
Phone *: +61-2-9022-1670    Mobile *: +61-411-254-513
   Fax 7: +61-2-9022-1800     E-mail * : martin.visserAThp.com