Hi All,

I am wanting to get some opinions on the best way to handle intrusive logon
attempts.  I know that 'Authentication' problems are stored in
/var/log/messages, are there any tools that can report on failed logon
attempts?  I thought of writing a script to analyse the log file and email
me if the logon attempts for a particular user exceeds a limit I have set.
Is this a good idea?

I've heard about PAM and being able to tally up the logon attempts using
mod_tally, but does anyone know of any good doco about how to set this up
for newbies 8-)?  I still find PAM confusing....

I've also heard about 'Snort' - can sniff the packets in realtime and
perform actions based on rules I have set.  Is snort suitable to run on a
productive box (does is take much cpu?) or should it run on a standalone
box?

I am relatively new to linux so I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Thanks for your time,

Regards
Anthony Gray