On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> > Of course, Rev Simon *meant* to say 'fakeroot debian/rules binary', and
> > build-dependencies. :-)
>
> I see fakeroot mentioned a lot in Debian documentation.  Tell me, why
> would I use it instead of sudo?  Is there any advantage?

Since it doesn't *actually* give root privs, fakeroot is safer when you need
to do root-like things (chown files, setuid, and such) but don't want to
hand your system to the first badly written makefile or shell script that
comes along.

It also lets users build Debian packages without needing to hassle the
sysadmin for sudo access (like we'd give it to them anyway...)