I'm trying to get the redhat kernel source to work with Debian Woody.  The
kernel compiles fine, but I'm getting the following error when booting:

    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8

and then the system fails with an unable to find root filesystem error (root
filesystem is on a SCSI disk)  Installing standard RedHat works fine.
Booting using the Debian supplied kernel and running 'modprobe
block-major-8' shows that modprobe doesn't know how to load the required
modules; the same command on RedHat loads scsi_mod and sd_mod.

How can I force the kernel to load the sd_mod and scsi_mod modules when
booting?  I've tried compiling support for the BusLogic controller directly
into the kernel, but that failed with the same error.

     Doug Stalker