Hi all,

Running Redhat 7.3 on a server. I've got a bunch of ip aliases which I am running from /etc/rc.local to run them when the comp boots.
Problem is that on boot it creates the aliased ip's but they have mask of Mask:255.0.0.0 instead of the required 255.255.255.248

An example line from rc.local is :
/sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 netmask 255.255.255.248 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (with the x's being the additional ip addr)

If I copy and paste the lines from rc.local it will update the first 2 with the correct netmask and give the following error for the rest:
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address

I'm guessing this could be because some services that are started are already listening on the aliased ip's. If I repeat the command 2 or 3 times it eventually sets the mask correctly.

Anyone able to offer any ideas why it does this and how to fix it?

Cheers,
Paul