On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 14:49, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> I have a friend who is tryign to configure ADSL under debian. The

a "friend", eh?

> problem is that he is connecting to RSL.com who are using bridged ADSL
> with a static IP address.

We just switched from Pacific to TPG, I assumed that they were using the
Telstra ADSL setup like Pacific were (we were on the Telstra Trial).

I was having all sorts of trouble and was about to set up a Win98
box.  I asked them where I could download the drivers from, they
said just set up my NIC with the given specs, so I realised there
was no pppoe.

The info we got:

Configuration Option: Static IP: Modem in bridged mode
Customer IP: a.b.c.x
Gateway IP: a.b.c.y
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.252

relevant section of /etc/network/interfaces file:
iface eth1 inet static
        network a.b.c.min(x,y)-1
        gateway a.b.c.y.177
        address a.b.c.x
        broadcast a.b.c.max(x,y)+1
        netmask 255.255.255.252

if he is changing from pppoe and doing ipmasq, you should remove the ppp
file in
/etc/ipmasq/ and change his startup scripts to run ipmasq.

The ppp file in /etc/ipmasq/ tells ipmasq to run when a ppp connection
is created.  How that works I don't know.

cheers,
Woody

--
Anthony Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>