On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:30, dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes that is the exact setup.  I already have the dial-in server setup on the
> Linux box of which I can already dial in too.
>
> So the problem is how requests for web-pages are handled from the Windows
> box via the Linux box.
>
> I do not have a firewall setup on the actual Linux box but I know the ISP I
> am using does have a firewall.  So would I have to set up the IP

You probably should have a firewall :-)

> masquerading to make it look like requests coming from the Windows box are
> actually coming from the Linux box?  If this is correct then I am still
> unsure where this is going wrong - could it be that I have not set the
> options in the /ppp/options.ttys0 file?

It sounds like you just need to set up ip masquerading.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/

for debian, I think you just apt-get install ipmasq and hook it into
your startup, or put an empty file ppp in /etc/ipmasq/ to make it
start when you connect.

(from apt-cache show ipmasq)

 IP Masquerade requires the kernel to be compiled with CONFIG_FIREWALL,
 CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL, CONFIG_IP_FORWARD, and CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE.

If you like, you can read some of the Linux Network Administrators Guide
too, which gives you a good grounding in most common networking.

http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

cheers,
Woody