On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 11:45:40AM +1100, Terry Collins wrote:
> Peter Hardy wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 09:21:29 +1100 Terry Collins wrote:
> > > AIUI - apt-get remove package uninstalls and deletes package from
> > > system.
> >
> > No.  remove will uninstall the package, but configuration files stay
> > installed, as well as debconf config, and the package file will stay in
> > apt's cache (/var/cache/apt/archives/)
>
> Is there a command to clean out/remove the configuration files as well.
> I suspect one of them is corrupted and want to start afresh (rather than
> laboriously comb configuration files).

apt-get remove <package> will not remove the config files
apt-get --purge remove <package> will remove the config files.

It also puts an asterix next to the packages when it lists them for removing,
which you can see when you use other tools, e.g. dselect.

cheers,
Woody

PS: I nearly top-posted this Peter, how do I configure mutt to launch xemacs with my
cursor at the bottom?