On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 05:23:08PM +1100, Kevin Saenz wrote:

> > I'm trialling using smb_auth for access to our squid proxy.
> >

> I guess that is good for a small network what happens when the
> network grows to a larger size and fixing acls for each user
> in squid becomes a pain in the proverbial. But I can see an
> up side given that Authentication through smb would be completely
> transparent unlike ldap authentication with squid.
>
> > I'm using transparent proxying with squid, however I've found that this
> > won't allow access to permitted users, and I have to point the browser at
> > the proxy manually.
> >
> Didn't someone previously post how much of a bad idea transparent
> proxying is in the real world? (By redirecting port 80 to squid's ports)

Transparent Proxying OK
Proxy Authentication OK (403? Proxy Authorisation Required)

Transparent Proxy Authentication I read was bad, depends whether the
smb_auth thing sends Proxy Auth REquired to the browser, or if it
sends denied, based on other hacky things in the background.

Maybe it's OK with certain browsers.

cheers,
Woody